Best plug and play float switch?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m creating a recirculating co2 scrubber with my skimmer. To ensure that nothing bad happens while running it, I want to install a float switch into the collection cup.

While reef octopus does make float switch collection cups available for sale, they don’t make one for my collection cup size that matches with their varios pump. I’ve started looking at generic float switches and all seem to involve combining with external controller and self-wiring.

I’m looking for a simple float switch that has an outlet and internal controller ready to go that will fit through one of my skimmer cup holes. Can someone with experience point me in the right direction?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you thought about using the float switch that comes with the Varios pump and drilling a hole through the skimmer cup cover? Skimmer cup covers are relatively inexpensive and are available from CoralVue.com if you want to keep one whole and have one drilled. Good luck with whatever you decide!

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about using the float switch that comes with the Varios pump and drilling a hole through the skimmer cup cover? Skimmer cup covers are relatively inexpensive and are available from CoralVue.com if you want to keep one whole and have one drilled. Good luck with whatever you decide!
That’s what I’d prefer to do but I can’t tell from the pics on brs if the float switch comes with an outlet. The one I’d love to find it this one as it looks to be exactly what I’m aiming for: I.e. a float switch with outlet that I can plug my skimmer into.

It’s not clear if this is the same float switch that’s available on brs or anywhere else however.

Attachments

• B08AB3AC-79F3-48BB-81C1-F1B18040CF32.png
    B08AB3AC-79F3-48BB-81C1-F1B18040CF32.png
    629.1 KB · Views: 61

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use. It gives me a false trip once a month or so but has never failed to trip on overflow. (Knocking on wood.)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also encourage you to consider adding an inline water trap/reservoir in your recirculating setup. The canister is drawing A LOT of moisture in from the skimmer cup just from humidity and bubbles. Without a trap, it will gunk the bottom inch or so of the media unless you empty the canister daily.

This is one of my projects for this weekend. Going to look around here again for some ideas on implementation.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use. It gives me a false trip once a month or so but has never failed to trip on overflow. (Knocking on wood.)

Perfect, thank you.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending an hour or so reading up on a bunch of threads, I might actually go a different direction altogether versus recirculation. I need to simplify stuff some. My new thinking given some of my reading:

Bring in outside air.
Run that air through GAC reactor.
Then through CO2 scrubber and into skimmer.

Where I live we don't employ exterminators really. The air quality is normally not too bad; some nastiness at peak Summer from NYC

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe I found the solution. This should work it looks like.
This is the same switch I use on my Reef Octo waste collector. Never had any issues. Flawless..

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the same switch I use on my Reef Octo waste collector. Never had any issues. Flawless..
Sweet. I went ahead and purchased it. Thanks everyone for the help. I’m amped to get this co2 scrubber going.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back