Best pod mixture for new tank?

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you recommend any particular mix of pods for a new tank, and perhaps more importantly, where I can buy that specific product? I know the usual mix of recommended vendors: reefcleaners, reeftopia, algaebarn, getyourpods, liveaquaria, ebay, but don't know which product of theirs I should target. Amphipod, copepod, and then specific types of tisbe, pseudodiaptomis pelagicus, tangerine pods, acartia, tiger/tigger, etc. My head is spinning.

I don't have any mandarins or pipefish, nor any plans to get them. Please just assume a typical reef tank without any fish that needs a specific pod diet. I will likely get either a sixline wrasse or a melanurus wrasse down the road, but I don't have it as yet.

Last edited:

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently got the sampler mix of pods from reefcleaners, a mix of pods for $10, but I also got the small pack of gracilaria and that was just loaded w/ pods.
Really I probably could have just got the macro and had pods a plenty.
If you have a fuge it really does not take much to get them going, a clump of macro is usually about all you really need, I just got the sampler added as I do keep a mandarin, as well as anthia which also greatly benefit from pods, so I made sure I had all bases covered.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are adding corals you're going to end up with pods in that tank whether you like it or not. I wouldn't bother.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back