Best powerhead or other tool for getting BTAs to move?

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 is overrun by BTAs. One split became 4, 4 became 8. They’re on a rampage slowly killing montipora, blastos, the list goes on. I need to get them out, but they’re on the same rocks as my other corals, including some now sizable SPS colonies.

I’ve tried pulling them off manually and trying to detach them with ice cubes. Not even close to working.

I think blasting them with a power head until they move onto the sand or glass is the best way to go? Can anyone recommend a powerhead (or some other tool) for that purpose - something that could be easily repositioned and pointed in new ways to steer them one by one onto the sand?

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 is overrun by BTAs. One split became 4, 4 became 8. They’re on a rampage slowly killing montipora, blastos, the list goes on. I need to get them out, but they’re on the same rocks as my other corals, including some now sizable SPS colonies.

I’ve tried pulling them off manually and trying to detach them with ice cubes. Not even close to working.

I think blasting them with a power head until they move onto the sand or glass is the best way to go? Can anyone recommend a powerhead (or some other tool) for that purpose - something that could be easily repositioned and pointed in new ways to steer them one by one onto the sand?
You can try this

I had some success with it, however they also moved during the night and re-lodged onto the rocks again! :upside-down-face:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the nem cannon, but if you just want to get it done and don't mind spending some time with hands in the tank, I find massaging the foot with a rounded chopstick or rounded edge of Red Sea Test Kit spoons works well. 5-20 min per nem depending on how stubborn they are.
PXL_20231015_200429026.jpg

Start by rubbing the edge of their foot where they attach to a rock, picking a good spot where they might not be holding on tight. Once the edge lets go, it will expose some of the underside of the foot. Massage that part of the foot with the stick/spoon until it starts lifting and detaching more of its edges. You'll eventually get more surface area to massage, and then when it lets loose you can scoop it up and put it in a nem cup or a tupper. Take it easy on their feet and don't go too hard on it or you could tear the foot. Some BTAs are easier, some hold on for dear life. Couple of hours of work.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had better luck with a modified version of the nem cannon. The regular one, I'm sure, works fine, but constantly dealing with giant sponge and having both arms elbow deep in the water messing around with zip ties got old.

I had a piece of PVC shaped like this (from a bathtub drain kit, I think), but any L shape would work, I assume. First off, I should note that using an L shaped pipe, made using the regular nem cannon easier since the pipe naturally faced up.

In any case, I skipped the sponge. I'd get the PVC where I need it, and then used this style of feeding ring slid over the top of the PVC and, with any luck, it all kinda wedged itself together. Granted, there were times I'd have to give one an extra day or two to move into a better spot, but in the end I think I got 9 or 10 of them out and I'm finally back to one. One that I keep a very close eye on and will dispatch anything it spawns as soon as I see it.

Also, for what it's worth, I had decent luck putting things in the nem's way if it was going somewhere it shouldn't be going.

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, everyone! Trying the cannon to start, will try the chopstick massage and other ideas if this doesn’t work! So far they’ve moved a little but not into the pipes.

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpeg
    IMG_1424.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 21

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back