Best practices when searching for an LFS you can trust?

zedoita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Beginner here.

I am setting up a new tank for the first time, and doing a lot of research before-hand. Got to the point where I am ready to cycle my tank, which was aquascaped with Marco's reef saver rock. It is a 65g tank with a 15g sump.

I was planning on cycling with a couple of clownfish and Dr. Tims One and Only, so I went out to the LFS I liked the most in my area (after visiting them all) to pick up the fish.

The LFS guy didn't recommend cycling with fish, didn't really give me any reasons why, but that's not the point of the question. Long story short, I came back home with a bottle of Fritz-Zyme TurboStart 900 as recommended by him.

His instructions were to: "Dump the entire bottle in the tank and wait 2 weeks"

To which I replied: "What about a source of ammonia? What will get the bacteria going if there is no fish to create ammonia?"

LFS guy: "Don't worry, just put the bottle in and wait 2 weeks, the stuff in the bottle will make the ammonia, I have done that many times", in a kind of dismissive tone.

I didn't want to sound arrogant, and didn't know what turbostart was so $30 bucks later I went home with it and did more research. The instructions in the turbo start mention a source of ammonia if going fishless:

"Add animals after acclimating, OR, if fishless cycling, add an ammonia source of choice at the product's recommended dosage."

If I combine my research and instructions for product, I would conclude the LFS guy is just plain wrong. Or is he right?

Anyway, my real question is this:

If this was something a little more obscure where information wasn't readily available, how would I know? Is "trust but verify" a common thing in the hobby when dealing with a LFS?

I decided to go with this particular shop because it had the cleanest tanks, the staff was friendly, and seemingly "helpful".

Thanks!!

1Arrecife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm doing the same as you. I just ordered my 38gal. peninsula yesterday. Totally get what you are saying about your LFS guy, remember their only immediate goal may be to sell as much stuff as they can to you. I've gotten the impression that many LFS owners tend to think of newcomers as total noobs that will soon quit. Many don't seem to have the patience to briefly explain very complex topics all newcomers should familiarize themselves with. I'd suggest you learn what you can from people that don't make their living off of aquarium products. You are pretty much in the right place, this forum. I just joined and have already read about 2 guides on cycling.

I recommend you watch this video on cycling.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do think checking multiple sources for answers to any question is a good idea, especially when starting out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dump whole bottle?? Yikes !!

what about fish- “ PLOP AND DROP?”, No quarantine needed?

this is where I find a different LFS. I rely on first and lasting impression:
Cleanliness of store
Knowledge of staff
Health of tanks
Pricing
Guarantee
Customer loyalty incentives
Ability to order wishlist item
Variety

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let this be a lesson for you. LFS stores may be a good place to get some info but very few are experts. Take what they say with a grain of salt and do your own research. Just because that is the way “he does it” doesnt mean its the correct way to do things.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back