Best Pump for a Pico Reef?

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 4 gallon reef with simple contents, like zoas, pods, and perhaps a frogspawn, what would be an ideal pump? I'm looking for minimum sizes here. Do I have to look out for a potential overheating problem? Is an airpump preferable at this size, or does it not produce enough flow for corals?

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s that small. A simple hang on back filter would work?
If it’s like AIO or has a sump. The return could be sicce 1.0 with like random flow nozzle.

OP
OP
D

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s that small. A simple hang on back filter would work?
If it’s like AIO or has a sump. The return could be sicce 1.0 with like random flow nozzle.
I'm guessing that a reef is still going to need higher flow than a back filter can give. I doubt that would even reach the substrate.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing that a reef is still going to need higher flow than a back filter can give. I doubt that would even reach the substrate.

You can get a hangon back and check the pump flow.
A pico tank doesn’t need a wave maker the filter is more than enough flow. Especially 4 gallons.
Check out Vic’s pico tank from WWC. He only has hangon back

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back