Best QT method for a hippo blue tang?

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello team! After 2 years of being busy with study I’m free now and getting back into my reef tank (which is a bit sparse atm with only 2 clowns, a foxface and a chromis + some shrimp). Looking at getting a blue hippo tang. What’s the best method for quarantining these beauties? Last time I purchased the chromis and clowns I used TTM. However I’m not sure if the 60L buckets I have will be sufficient for a blue tang? Should I cycle my 150L QT tank and use this with cupramine instead? Thank you team! I would rather use the TTM because it’s kept my tank disease free for years but…I’ve only really bought small fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello team! After 2 years of being busy with study I’m free now and getting back into my reef tank (which is a bit sparse atm with only 2 clowns, a foxface and a chromis + some shrimp). Looking at getting a blue hippo tang. What’s the best method for quarantining these beauties? Last time I purchased the chromis and clowns I used TTM. However I’m not sure if the 60L buckets I have will be sufficient for a blue tang? Should I cycle my 150L QT tank and use this with cupramine instead? Thank you team! I would rather use the TTM because it’s kept my tank disease free for years but…I’ve only really bought small fish.
In lieu of cupramine, treat for Full 30 days using either copper power or Coppersafe at therapuetic level 2.25-2..5 monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand - No Api.
Also monitor ammonia level with reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment via air stone. Do this obviously in a quarantine setting

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In lieu of cupramine, treat for Full 30 days using either copper power or Coppersafe at therapuetic level 2.25-2..5 monitored by a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand - No Api.
Also monitor ammonia level with reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment via air stone. Do this obviously in a quarantine setting
Thank you
So you wouldn’t recommend TTM for a tang?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did hybrid TTM on two tangs and it wasn’t a problem other than the kole trying to stab me during transfers. A blue tang shouldn’t have issue with copper either though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Our current basic quarantine protocol is posted here:

TTM is really designed to only control marine ich, but there is also a modified version that helps a bit more with velvet. Still, it lacks a comprehensive fluke protocol. There are also a few diseases that no quarantine really controls - and TTM allows those to get into your tank without any real waiting period.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you
So you wouldn’t recommend TTM for a tang?
While TTM does work, it requires at least 2 tanks for transfer, time and potaential stress on a given fish why I make that on my behalf the last consideration and catches parasites some of the time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The protocol listed at the top of the fish disease thread.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back