Best reef dimensions for 300G

Aardvark1134

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
983
Reaction score
820
Location
louisville, ky
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of these would make the best reef dimensions for a tank with LPS/softies, ZOA, and variety of fish including blue and yellow tang?

96Lx30Wx24T or 72Lx36Wx30T

Both come out to about the same size as the 30T has thicker material.

I can see the extra 2 ft long being nice for the tangs to swim, but I can also see the the extra height and width being nice for a big fish to turn around when a lot of space is filled by rocks.

I would like some advice from anyone who has large fish that loves to swim in a reef with a lot of rock.
NOTE: There is also almost no difference in price and my house can fit either one.
 
96” length will be best for tangs. Those two will not get big enough turning around will be an issue. I have a 12” sailfin tang in a 96x24x30” tank. One flick of its tail and it is at the other end of my tank.
 
Which of these would make the best reef dimensions for a tank with LPS/softies, ZOA, and variety of fish including blue and yellow tang?

96Lx30Wx24T or 72Lx36Wx30T

Both come out to about the same size as the 30T has thicker material.

I can see the extra 2 ft long being nice for the tangs to swim, but I can also see the the extra height and width being nice for a big fish to turn around when a lot of space is filled by rocks.

I would like some advice from anyone who has large fish that loves to swim in a reef with a lot of rock.
NOTE: There is also almost no difference in price and my house can fit either one.
If you are keeping tangs, I'd go as long as you can. Both will be beautiful and I can't wait to see the build thread. :-)
 
Agree with everything said so far. Keeping fish happy with their environment is just as much about water volume as it is about usable space. The 96" will be much better for tangs to swim around. The reality is that you could get away with the shorter one, but I think the 96" will lend itself to more fish options long term.

Also, having a shorter tank is easier to manage with cleaning, maintenance, etc.
 
Also...I have a 29" tall tank and it is a pain to place corals and clean. I'm also 5'5", so my reach isn't all that far down.
 
I am 5'10" and my 24" tank can be a pain so I wouldn't go taller in a reef.

If you are going custom why not do 96x36x20?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new