Best reef ready tank deal of 2024 - whose looking for a new tank?

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, well, throughout history Climate Change has been the dominant force in nearly all mass migrations, human and animal alike. So I didn't really see why this should be any different, and it turns out my hypothesis at worst warrants further investigation, because it turns out there's a ton of evidence in paleo-climate models of the region for the time period that suggest I am correct, and it was climate driven, not a Militaristic move made by the Huns.
Weird I too only sleep about 4 hours a night, I'm in EST time though lol. I majored in anthropology, but took a ton of history classes as well, I used to overlap my papers all the time. Usually only had to change the opening and conclusions based on which class. I personally think that ultimately militaristic invasions are about resource scarcity, which often is due to climate change. Drought, in your case,and cold in the case of the Vikings. You might want to look at and contrast the migration of the Aztecs from the US southwest into Mexico. It hasn't been proven (at least when I was in school) but if you look at the collapse of the Anasazi culture and their practices of cannibalism and other things, then look at Aztec migration myths there is a lot of overlap. This also occurred during a time of drought.

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also central time, and also only sleep about 4 hours a night, lol... especially right now, last semester of school (I'm 43 but going back to school) and have a 25 page paper and 30 minute presentation due as my capstone to graduate. Paper has to be original research, and I have a 4 year old that keeps me occupied during normal waking hours, lol.
Congrats on being a returning student and your impending graduation. I’m a university professor (criminology) and have always loved learning with “non traditional” students with life experience and an intrinsic motivation to learn.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on being a returning student and your impending graduation. I’m a university professor (criminology) and have always loved learning with “non traditional” students with life experience and an intrinsic motivation to learn.
I went back when I was twenty four and was classified as a non traditional student by my university which I thought was weird at the time. The only thing I thought about myself as different was my tastes in hangouts.I ended up hanging out with the grad students most of the time at more chill spots that were more conducive to actual conversations.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird I too only sleep about 4 hours a night, I'm in EST time though lol. I majored in anthropology, but took a ton of history classes as well, I used to overlap my papers all the time. Usually only had to change the opening and conclusions based on which class. I personally think that ultimately militaristic invasions are about resource scarcity, which often is due to climate change. Drought, in your case,and cold in the case of the Vikings. You might want to look at and contrast the migration of the Aztecs from the US southwest into Mexico. It hasn't been proven (at least when I was in school) but if you look at the collapse of the Anasazi culture and their practices of cannibalism and other things, then look at Aztec migration myths there is a lot of overlap. This also occurred during a time of drought.
Yeh, as is, I am having to edit a lot down. I've finished my Abstract, Introduction, and Section 1 (which explains why climate is a plausible catalyst), and I'm already at 9.5 pages! So, there will for sure be some distilling going down, but that's a great suggestion for a follow-up paper when pursuing my Master's and, hopefully, my Ph.D.

I thought about taking more Anthropology classes during my tenure here, but I could never get a class to line up right with the rest of my schedule. Always either too early to make it to the class on time, or caused a 4 hour gap in my schedule (I live 40 minutes away, and didn't want to hang out on campus for 4 hours). Depending on where I decide to go to Grad school, I might take a few.

Thanks, it's weird being on campus sometimes though, not gonna lie, lol.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back on topic for now. I put a vca random flow on the return today. Yes you can probably get by with just that and no other wave makers. I recommend everyone do it, it also spreads the flow out, instead of the jet from the stock return. My sand is not being pushed away from the left front corner anymore.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh, as is, I am having to edit a lot down. I've finished my Abstract, Introduction, and Section 1 (which explains why climate is a plausible catalyst), and I'm already at 9.5 pages! So, there will for sure be some distilling going down, but that's a great suggestion for a follow-up paper when pursuing my Master's and, hopefully, my Ph.D.

I thought about taking more Anthropology classes during my tenure here, but I could never get a class to line up right with the rest of my schedule. Always either too early to make it to the class on time, or caused a 4 hour gap in my schedule (I live 40 minutes away, and didn't want to hang out on campus for 4 hours). Depending on where I decide to go to Grad school, I might take a few.

Thanks, it's weird being on campus sometimes though, not gonna lie, lol.
They probably think you're either a professor or a TA lol.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back on topic for now. I put a vca random flow on the return today. Yes you can probably get by with just that and no other wave makers. I recommend everyone do it, it also spreads the flow out, instead of the jet from the stock return. My sand is not being pushed away from the left front corner anymore.
I wish that was an option for my current display tank... the return is just a vent in the rear wall of the aquarium. The entire overflow/drain/return system is completely unique. I love it for how quiet it is, but really do wish they had included a bulkhead or something for the return so I could actually direct flow, lol.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one class called "History of Science" that was taught by such a great professor that I asked and got permission from him to sit in on the class again after I took it. One of my friends took the class on my advice so I went with him. He only had three grades for the class. Midterm essay, attendance (couple of percent) and final essay. The final was based on a ten book reading list. Had to be minimum of ten pages. He emailed the question to you and once you opened it a clock started and you had 24 hours to complete it. Including citations. I spent the entire 24 glued to my screen typing and didn't even notice.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that was an option for my current display tank... the return is just a vent in the rear wall of the aquarium. The entire overflow/drain/return system is completely unique. I love it for how quiet it is, but really do wish they had included a bulkhead or something for the return so I could actually direct flow, lol.
Let's see a picture

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably easier to visualize with a diagram to be candid.
1710984812011.png

The blue is the return, and as you can see, it's just a vent. Here's a picture of the actual vent, you can see it on the back a few inches below the water line:

1710984878594.png

The only complaints I have about the tank are the return, the vacuum style hose from the hard plumbing to the sump, and the fact that they ship it with a skimmer much too large for the tank, even with the healthiest of bio-loads. They could also make a bigger tank size, 48 Gallon is the largest they make. I'd love to see them do a 90 or a 120-150.

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I submitted the first draft of the first chapter of my dissertation to my advisor it was 100 pages. He lifted it up as if to feel the weight, dropped it on the desk, and said cut it in half without reading a word.

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT HAS ARRIVED!!!!

The freight driver asked what was in it and I said an aquarium. His face dropped and he took a deep breath. The exterior framing of was broken and bent. Several of the 1x1 braces were either cracked or completely broken. My heart dropped as I prepared myself for the worst...

But, whomever packaged this thing did an amazing job...not a scratch (apologies for the glare):

full tank.jpg
Back of tank.jpg
Seam.jpg
Full tank DT Back DT Seam

Sump and ATO.jpg
Full Tank Open.jpg

Inside Cabinet Full Tank, Cabinet Open

In response to some of the things that have come up from others who have received theirs:
  1. Lid on filter sock compartment has 'ridges' that slide tightly into sump section, so you may need to give it a bit of a push down. Is perfectly fitting for me once pushed down.
  2. No 'free' pump...had my fingers crossed, but will order the eFlux 1900 for sure.
  3. No lid for the ATO, but it is mostly closed on top except for opening where it would be filled. If someone got an actual lid that covers that opening, please let me know and I may reach out to seller and ask for one. Although I don't perceive this being a huge issue as I can just cover it so that it doesn't evaporate (I'm assuming that would be the only issue if uncovered)
  4. Aquarium sits perfectly on stand...no overhang.
  5. Small things matter - cushions on back of DT to prevent scratching/bumping of plumbing; mat under sump for (I assume) sound/vibration reduction; guide rails around ATO to prevent tipping and pushing too deep.

Overall initial impressions:
  • Clean, thick, and beautiful DT
  • Solid construction on stand...very stable and sturdy
  • Perfect fit for sump and ATO with plenty of room for storage and wiring, etc.
  • Plumbing kit appears appropriately constructed and ready for installation (will update as I put it together)
  • Only "problem" I am seeing is that the cabinet doors are a little misaligned. The right one is maybe 1/8"-1/4" lower than left. I think this may be because it is still sitting on the pallet, but will see. Not a huge issue, but kind of annoying me.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT HAS ARRIVED!!!!

The freight driver asked what was in it and I said an aquarium. His face dropped and he took a deep breath. The exterior framing of was broken and bent. Several of the 1x1 braces were either cracked or completely broken. My heart dropped as I prepared myself for the worst...

But, whomever packaged this thing did an amazing job...not a scratch (apologies for the glare):

full tank.jpg
Back of tank.jpg
Seam.jpg
Full tank DT Back DT Seam

Sump and ATO.jpg
Full Tank Open.jpg

Inside Cabinet Full Tank, Cabinet Open

In response to some of the things that have come up from others who have received theirs:
  1. Lid on filter sock compartment has 'ridges' that slide tightly into sump section, so you may need to give it a bit of a push down. Is perfectly fitting for me once pushed down.
  2. No 'free' pump...had my fingers crossed, but will order the eFlux 1900 for sure.
  3. No lid for the ATO, but it is mostly closed on top except for opening where it would be filled. If someone got an actual lid that covers that opening, please let me know and I may reach out to seller and ask for one. Although I don't perceive this being a huge issue as I can just cover it so that it doesn't evaporate (I'm assuming that would be the only issue if uncovered)
  4. Aquarium sits perfectly on stand...no overhang.
  5. Small things matter - cushions on back of DT to prevent scratching/bumping of plumbing; mat under sump for (I assume) sound/vibration reduction; guide rails around ATO to prevent tipping and pushing too deep.

Overall initial impressions:
  • Clean, thick, and beautiful DT
  • Solid construction on stand...very stable and sturdy
  • Perfect fit for sump and ATO with plenty of room for storage and wiring, etc.
  • Plumbing kit appears appropriately constructed and ready for installation (will update as I put it together)
  • Only "problem" I am seeing is that the cabinet doors are a little misaligned. The right one is maybe 1/8"-1/4" lower than left. I think this may be because it is still sitting on the pallet, but will see. Not a huge issue, but kind of annoying me.
Mine came with a lid

Attachments

• 17111312248425401509521618907080.jpg
    17111312248425401509521618907080.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 17111312687354726306740995180092.jpg
    17111312687354726306740995180092.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 32

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the door thing, I think it's intentional, makes it easier to open. Mine is the same way, I don't see that being a mistake twice.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JdubC

They sent me a ato lid free, and some people got one included with delivery. You should ask about it I’m sure they will send no charge

The doors have a push to open latch/magnet. I don’t remember If mine were misaligned at all but closed they are flush and I just push the corner and they pop out enough for me to open the door

For point number 5 I noticed those little things also, seems a lot of thought was put into this setup

I’m glad it arrived safely! I was really surprised how well everything was secured, padded, and packed

Ask the seller about the 1900…they offered a heavy discount to me if I bought through them direct instead of from a Website or Amazon.

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the door thing, I think it's intentional, makes it easier to open. Mine is the same way, I don't see that being a mistake twice.
Ah. Interesting. Appreciate that.

I will contact the seller on Etsy and ask about the lid. Will report back here. Again, not a huge issue given the deal and the quality, but worth asking.

OP
OP
VintageReefer

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Interesting. Appreciate that.

Can someone post a pic of the door alignment thing being discussed so I know what to check ?

Here’s my door seam and the top edge of the doors. Hard to tell unless you expand and zoom but it’s the only pic I had already taken readily available

115D5697-8655-467A-908B-DA63A8F58853.png

JdubC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post a pic of the door alignment thing being discussed so I know what to check ?

Here’s my door seam and the top edge of the doors. Hard to tell unless you expand and zoom but it’s the only pic I had already taken readily available

115D5697-8655-467A-908B-DA63A8F58853.png
Here are two pics. First one shows the right side door is hung lower than the left. I think that is something I can fix by tightening/adjusting the hinge.

Second one is trying to show that the left side door begins to misalign about half way down. I think this may be an issue with it being on the pallet, but will see when I move it to a more level floor.

5C251E37-DD90-415D-BBD5-048DD293FBF3.jpeg

BF276DF6-B9C5-452B-8A81-F122E8280FD6.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back