Best Salt for SPS?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NightStar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Except for the low Mg, I like Red Seal Salt (not the Pro). I find RSS offers parameters more parallel to how I like my reef relative to other brands. I add 1/2 cup each of MgCl and MgSO4 to compensate. When it comes to salt mixes, it's easier to make a correction through addition than subtraction, LOL.
 
I'm currently using plain old Instant Ocean. Along with my Ca reactor, Ozone and Acro Power I have amazing color and growth. Proof is in my pictures. :)
 
Regardless of the salt brand, with an SPS heavy tank you'll need to supplement alk and calc in some fashion. Can't do it by salt only.

And I'm yet another Instant Ocean user.....as their advertising states, It's ocean water.
 
FWIW, I do not think there is a best brand. Almost any salt mix can be used, you just need to account for its pros and cons. :)
 
Regardless of the salt brand, with an SPS heavy tank you'll need to supplement alk and calc in some fashion. Can't do it by salt only.

And I'm yet another Instant Ocean user.....as their advertising states, It's ocean water.


Oh I dose, looking at setting up a calculator reactor soon. Making sure all my sources are the best I can pick.
 
Agreed Randy!
I use Brightwell salt. I have learned its pro's and con's and my triton Elementz keeps it right on track.
 
I just read Fritz rpm is low on calc, alk, and mag right off the start. I guess by "best" I'm looking for something that's a complete mix.

Well you might want to rethink that. The reason I say that is that I originally used Reef Crystals and switched to IO because I didn't like the alk and calc swings from the high levels in RC during water changes.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new