Best sand cleaners

winzig

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 17, 2024
Messages
300
Reaction score
277
Location
Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100g 6 foot tank with about a 1.5 inch sand bed.
I would like to know everyones opinion on what I should use for best possible sand cleaning.
snails? stars? anything else?

I have a strawberry conch and a half dozen nassarius snails already.
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
I have a 100g 6 foot tank with about a 1.5 inch sand bed.
I would like to know everyones opinion on what I should use for best possible sand cleaning.
snails? stars? anything else?

I have a strawberry conch and a half dozen nassarius snails already.
Nassarius snails and strawberry conchs
 
I have 3 conches (2 tiger and 1 strawberry) and nassarius snails in a 5 ft tank. They help stir up the sand but can’t do much to keep the sand clean. I had a blue dot goby previously which did a great job at keeping the sand stirred up. Unfortunately it starved over time. If ate misis from the water column and I tried to put TDO pellets in the sand but that was apparently not enough. I hope you have better luck.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'd reconsider the sand sifting stars, they really require a very large and mature sand bed, or they quickly deplete their food source, and then slowly starve. Your Conch and Nessarius snails are a great start.
 
Last edited:
If you like to feed heavy, Sand sifting starfish. I added 4 so far to my 5 ft tank. I likely will add a few more if I see any signs of algae again, but so far 4 is doing the job of keeping my sand bed white. Before adding them,I had to use a python siphon at least once a month to turn over the green spots on the sand bed.

But if you don’t feed generously, they could starve, so if in doubt, start with 1 or 2 in addition to your other cuc. And watch and adjust as needed.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new