Best Scraper?

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I recently purchases a flipper nano scraper for the peninsula 25 I order. After seeing some additional posts and reviews I've seen people having issues with it scratching the glass. Does anyone have any better recommendations for scrapers? Or is it a good one and just to be extra careful with it?

StevenHasCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the flipper. I have one on each of my tanks. I’ve heard of ppl scratching but I have not had trouble with that (knock on wood). I would say to just be careful.

VitoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Algae Free Scraper. Expensive but works great. Very strong magnet.

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a lot of it from sand getting under the pad and the strong magnet holding it against it? I'm super paranoid now lol. I'll check that one out!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tanks are acrylic, so options are even more limited. I use plain Mr Clean Magic Erasers though with great success

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mag float with that aftermarket razor blade you can attach to the back. not the mag float one

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a flipper.

I have tried many many different ones, and it was the best for my 3/4" glass. They all "work". For awhile I was using a little tiny scrapper, and it would work good as long as I didn't let the glass go uncleaned for a week. But it was a slow process due to a pad that was about 1.5"x3" total and took a lot of scrapping when I didn't stay on top of it, with a razor blade I needed to attach. Not much magnetic pull.

I tried others, basically the same story. All the big brands. They work, but they needed a blade attachment often. Or the pad was big and worked well, but then didn't have the ability for the blade when needed.

I finally ended up with the flipper. A really large one. I like it because it has a large pad, and enough magnetic pull that I am able to use it most of the time. And then, on some occasions I'll forget to clean for a week due to being busy etc, I'll have to use the scrapper. But I just use the plastic one, not the metal one and it works fine. I just flip if over, scrap where I need etc.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze.

German made and they can fit a metal blade if you wish to.

For a non magnetic hand held scraper you can't beat the Seatorch Titanium.

Regards
Graham

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally on a glass tank the best scraper i have ever found is razor blade(with a holder). When bought in bulk they cost pennies and do a great job. Having said that i know some people dont like putting their hands in the tank and if so that rules out that as an option.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re careful the Velcro-type algae scrapers work fine, but all it takes is one random piece of sand, or shell and before you know it there is a long, ugly scratch on the glass.

Tunze scrapers look strange and they’re expensive, but they don’t scratch glass. The plastic blades are the only parts that touch the inside glass except for when using the metal blade. You still have to be careful, almost more so, with the Tunze scrapers because the blades can cut or tear the silicone seams.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re careful the Velcro-type algae scrapers work fine, but all it takes is one random piece of sand, or shell and before you know it there is a long, ugly scratch on the glass.

Tunze scrapers look strange and they’re expensive, but they don’t scratch glass. The plastic blades are the only parts that touch the inside glass except for when using the metal blade. You still have to be careful, almost more so, with the Tunze scrapers because the blades can cut or tear the silicone seams.
You mean the metal blades on the Tunze? Never actually used them as I use another tool with a razor blade if necessary.

I've never had the plastic scrapers harm the silicon seals and I bang them against the corners when I use them to go edge to edge.

Maybe I shouldn't be.

Regards
Graham.

Back