Best settings for coral growth on AI Prime 16hd reef

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangent but I happened to rent an Apogee MQ-510 for $20 from local reefer last weekend and Saxby setting was one of multiple that I tested in my tank.

I expected Saxby setting to be HIGH PAR since, as you said, it's for higher end lights on HUGE system vs my 40 breeder with 2x AI Prime 16 HD.

Saxby settings at peak (as downloaded from AI) actually weren't very high in my tank (100-160 PAR in most of the tank).
*I assume it's because same percentage intensity on AI Prime is lower output than same percentage on his stronger lights.

I agree that BRS video is good place to start and also reminder (which someone else already posted) that 2 finger drag in myAI app to raise/lower intensity is quick and useful.
Awesome tangent!

Again, Its all relative to fixture wattage rating, not really the schedule itself. 50% on a hydra 52/26 vs 50% on a prime is where the difference lies. So you assume correctly.

Fwiw David Saxby ran only non HD hydra 52s over his tank at one point with the same settings. I could only assume less par even though the schedules intensity remained the same lol.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangent but I happened to rent an Apogee MQ-510 for $20 from local reefer last weekend and Saxby setting was one of multiple that I tested in my tank.

I expected Saxby setting to be HIGH PAR since, as you said, it's for higher end lights on HUGE system vs my 40 breeder with 2x AI Prime 16 HD.

Saxby settings at peak (as downloaded from AI) actually weren't very high in my tank (100-160 PAR in most of the tank).
*I assume it's because same percentage intensity on AI Prime is lower output than same percentage on his stronger lights.

I agree that BRS video is good place to start and also reminder (which someone else already posted) that 2 finger drag in myAI app to raise/lower intensity is quick and useful.
i mean, the intensity of light is also dependent on how many lights u run over the area. i bet that in Davids tank PAR is high

Rageb1t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running this light on my Biocube 32 with the BRS settings from the video scaled down to 99% for the highest violet/blue color spectrum. Please take a look at the attached photo for reference. You can use two fingers to drag the entire profile to scale proportionality.

Attachments

• IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 105

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean, the intensity of light is also dependent on how many lights u run over the area. i bet that in Davids tank PAR is high
Coverage is not the same thing as PAR.

Par/intensity stays the same as additional lights are added unless the lighting is more wattage or a different fixture design on the newly added fixtures.

Thats why david uses a mixture of fixtures.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coverage is not the same thing as PAR.

Par/intensity stays the same as additional lights are added unless the lighting is more wattage or a different fixture design on the newly added fixtures.

Thats why david uses a mixture of fixtures.
what? i added a 4th prime to my 4ft tank recently. it makes a huge difference on par values in the center of my tank, i even had to tone the middle 2 down because of it

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely because there was massive shadowing from 3 primes on a 48" tank.
there is no shadowing on to of my rock work lol. it also makes sense since the lenses have a spread and that includes areas that it isnt above. also brs confirmed this in their prime test video. they recommended for example 3 primes over a 3ft tank for sps and 2 above a 3ft tank for lps, running the same spectrum mix

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you end up using Saxy's preset and end up increasing the intensity? How did it work out? Par measured afterwards? Tank size?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no shadowing on to of my rock work lol. it also makes sense since the lenses have a spread and that includes areas that it isnt above. also brs confirmed this in their prime test video. they recommended for example 3 primes over a 3ft tank for sps and 2 above a 3ft tank for lps, running the same spectrum mix
You are actually correct. I was unaware PAR was cumulative. Learn something new everyday!

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are on Facebook I suggest joining the AI prime fb Group. The group page has a library with tons of different presets, including the BRS, Saxby, as well as tons of others and variations of them as well. There are some great folks in that group that are willing to help answer questions specific to ai lightning. All in files you can download right from the page and import into the my ai app.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up using Saxy's preset and end up increasing the intensity? How did it work out? Par measured afterwards? Tank size?
I don't use it -- just tested so I'd know if I ever wanted to try it. (Would've left it or maybe even lowered intensity just very slightly to match my current settings)

I run 40% of BRS LPS/softie recommendation on 40 breeder with 2x AI Prime 16 HD and only zoas and ricordea -- tested well for what I think I want so left it alone. (All zoas/ricordea in right around 100 PAR)

*tested some higher percentage intensities and a couple of other presets from AI website to just to keep for reference in case I decide to switch it up in the future.

OP
OP
DaprDon

DaprDon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to this site and click on a featured reefers profile. You can download their AI light settings there.

I was a big fan of David Saxbys preset when i had AI lighting.
Once I download settings, how do I get them into the app?
The download I selected is on my phone but I can't find where I put it in the preset area.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been mentioned. I’ll echo. It is important to keep in perspective the peoples tanks you obtain presets from. The saxby setting is great. But his tank is several feet deep and he uses dozens of light units. His absolute output will behave very different for his tank than it would for a single ai prime on a nano tank. I think you can mimic the general color, but you should really measure par to ensure your output intensity is appropriate

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been mentioned. I’ll echo. It is important to keep in perspective the peoples tanks you obtain presets from. The saxby setting is great. But his tank is several feet deep and he uses dozens of light units. His absolute output will behave very different for his tank than it would for a single ai prime on a nano tank. I think you can mimic the general color, but you should really measure par to ensure your output intensity is appropriate
Ive used the saxby schedule on my tank recently, i have 4 primes over a 4ft reef. The schedule is very white, it looks good but algae grows like a beast under that schedule in my experience

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with last two posts.

Whatever you download should for sure be adjusted for intensity.
I went through and hand adjusted most of the color points to my liking and time when i had Ai fixtures and the saxby schedule.

Maybe even throw in a little acclamation mode too lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back