Best Skimmer under $250 for a medium sized tank?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree on the somatic 60s. I have one on my 75 gallon and it does an amazing job. Only complaint I have is it's not dead silent, but the noise isn't terrible. It took about a week to fully break in, and once it's set it doesn't need to be fiddled with.

Are these Somatic 60s skimmers finnicky to tune like some other Vertex skimmers I've read about?

It looks like it uses a modified Sicce PSK 600. I wonder if a stock psk600 could be used a sa replacement pump if it becomes difficult to source the Somatic Sicce down the line? Anyone have an idea of wha the Somatic replacement pump and impeller cost?

MasterAlgaeGrower

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these Somatic 60s skimmers finnicky to tune like some other Vertex skimmers I've read about?

It looks like it uses a modified Sicce PSK 600. I wonder if a stock psk600 could be used a sa replacement pump if it becomes difficult to source the Somatic Sicce down the line? Anyone have an idea of wha the Somatic replacement pump and impeller cost?

I don't believe they are super finicky to tune. It was the first skimmer I've ever setup so I may not be the best person to ask. It took me a few days off watching YouTube, reading threads, and texting my buddy to understand what the different adjustments did. I had mine dialed in in around two weeks, but the first week was break in. I'd typically make one adjustment every other day during that two weeks and let it sit for a few hours and see.

J.durk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a reef octopus 150 and just recently switched it out and I am already regretting it. That reef octopus may not have been the fanciest skimmer out there but it was easy to set up and really consistent.

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gcarroll @USMC 4 LIFE @Blue Spot Octopus @gar732 @skim

Hey guys,

I still haven’t bought a skimmer (just been piling up money waiting for Black Friday sales ). But an oppertunity has come up to get a Bubble Magus DC8 very lightly used. My only concern is it might be too big for my system? I’ve heard that oversized skimmers can have trouble keeping a good foam going. Do you guys think an 8” body skimmer is too big for my 90 Gallon?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An 8” body will be waaay oversized for a 90 gallon tank. You’ll have a lot of trouble getting a consistent foam head on that beast. Look at the Somatic S60 on sale right now for $160 at BRS. It has a 6” body and is is very modestly rated on BRS, but it can handle much more.

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll reef octopus doesn’t qualify for the discount, but eshoppes does, I’m leaning towards picking up the x160 for $225.... thanks for the heads up on the flash sale!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that flash sale ended at midnight, I would wait for Black Friday sale and check out BRS and Marinedepot Dr F&S and get on there mailing list that is were the good deals are, I would check out all of the sponsors here and BUY. I know you have lots of suggestions the easiest way to choose is to go what the majority uses and loves on a similar size tank. For instance the Red Sea tank guys love the Nyos 160 for the bigger tanks 90 and up tanks. 50 to 75 gallon tank Aqua Maxx S Co-1 is a proven little skimmer , I bought that skimmer for my 40 breeder build.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re still good on the 25% off... DF&S “extended” it for another 24 hours. :)

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i put together a quick spreadsheet with the suggestions in this thread and a few others, and got some pretty interesting results (Red highlights are the lower 50% of scores for each column, Greens are the upper 50%, cells left white are basically exactly midway for the group. cells grayed out are where i couldn't find data for that particular skimmer.

It helped me break it into 2 groups; skimmers that will fit in either compartment in my sump, and those that will only fit in the larger compartment.

Starting with the skimmers that i could put in the smaller compartment to free the large compartment up for a refugium, the Simplicity 120 seems to just barely edge out the Bubble Magus NAC5.5 due to the 20% higher max air intake. with the eshoppes Z160 being a wildcard as i was not able to find stats on its flow rate.

what this really did for me was highlight how much better the skimmers that fit in the larger compartment only are, which i think has helped be settle on just abandoning the fuge idea and using the large skimmer compartment for what it was intended for. the Reef Octopus 150 seems to be the clear winner in this category, with the Simplicity 240 and Skimz SN143-QP getting honorable mention. the Exhoppes X-160 is a wild card again, as i cnat find their flow rate published anywhere, but they do look well built. even though MSRP is 300 i included them in part because fosters & smith is shipping a $45 gift card out with them right now, so for all intents and purposes that makes it a $250 skimmer in the long run...

does anyone have any more info on the Eshoppes models or experience with them?

book1.jpg

Out of all the Skimmers you have listed only one has the pump on the outside of the body. If it was me I would go with the Reef Octopus 150 Classic.
The pump being on the outside will give the unit a higher water volume in the body with also means a larger contact area for bubbles. The other reason for this pick is vary simple, it has be around a very long time and unchanged over its time except for a much improved pump. There is a reason it still remains unchanged and I would say the most sold Skimmer and looking at BRS I believe it has the highest number of reviews with 103 and 96 recommend it. It is a Skimmer that is simple and does the job well. I sure that many on this Forum and others who have other types of skimmers and have a back up skimmer, it will be a Reef Octopus Classic 150 INT. I have a Regal 170 SS and I when I clean it I will switch it with Classic 150 and from what I have seen as in amount of waste into waist container it produces equal amounts. I account it to the pump being on the outside of the 150 and the pump inside on the 170. Even though the 170 moves a lager amount of water and air, 1600 l/h air and 1200 l/r water. Granted the 170 is dead quite as having a great DC pump but the 150 was 1/3 of the cost. Now BRS, as of last I looked has 95, to me that says a sale is a brewing, so keep tour eyes open. I would say most likely looking at 189.99 to 199.99 if the past has any influence.
Anyhow just my 2 cents.

Skim

P.S the other you good look at and maybe find a second hand or wait to see what kind of sale price it will have is a Vertex 150. They can and will take a while to dial in as they are very touchy to amount of organics and waste's in the water column. This why many have had issues with them in the past. These skimmers produce vary fine bubbles and will produce massive amount of foam and when not adjust properly will over flow.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef octopus 150int classic is probably your best bet. If you are okay with used you can get a very nice one for $250. I only paid $350 for a super reef octopus 3000 int

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that the dimensions you posted originally are for a 75g tank (48x18x21); are those dimensions correct? Not that it makes much difference in the end but you're working with a slightly different volume of water. The Vertex 180 is on sale here at a price point that is hard to beat. I've never run one but at that price point, you cant really go wrong.

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to point out that the dimensions you posted originally are for a 75g tank (48x18x21); are those dimensions correct? Not that it makes much difference in the end but you're working with a slightly different volume of water. The Vertex 180 is on sale here at a price point that is hard to beat. I've never run one but at that price point, you cant really go wrong.

It’s a typo. The tank is 24” tall

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gcarroll @USMC 4 LIFE @Blue Spot Octopus @gar732 @skim

Hey guys,

I still haven’t bought a skimmer (just been piling up money waiting for Black Friday sales ). But an oppertunity has come up to get a Bubble Magus DC8 very lightly used. My only concern is it might be too big for my system? I’ve heard that oversized skimmers can have trouble keeping a good foam going. Do you guys think an 8” body skimmer is too big for my 90 Gallon?
IMO, that Bubble Magus is too big. I have shared what I felt was the best bang for the buck. Not going to rehash that because it became obvious in another thread that my comments really hurt someones feelings. Either way, @skim made some really good points in his post so reread it and take his recommendations to heart!

ccerone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Bubble Magus Curve 7 on my 90. I have used 8 skimmers over the past 20 years and this is my favorite. It wasn’t too expensive and it is very consistent.

OP
OP
Dodgersfan

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Reef Octopus INT 150 and the Reef Octopus NWB 150? It looks like the NWB has a needle wheel pump, but I can’t find anything that says what kind of pump the INT has.

guido5526

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve got 2 skimz sn143. And have had zero issues with them. Knock on wood. I know skimz has had some bad reviews but since they updated the pumps have not had any problems.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back