Best solution for managing flukes while in copper treatment

  • Thread starter Thread starter ss88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Jay,
I should be able to capture the specimens safely at night.
Thank you for the information.
 
Currently in the middle of treating Neobenedenia at 15ppt, day 25. I can still see visible Paravortex on some tangs, not confirmed with skin scrape, but fairly confident with diagnosis. The numbers are reduced. How much lower do I need to drop for treating Paravortex? I referenced noga, but did not find an answer besides Formalin or organophosphate. Not a big fan of Formalin and no experience with organophosphate. I read online that Praziquantel is effective, but this system has previously had multiple treatments and I have ran into a bacteria consumption issue I believe. Not opposed to transferring to clean system to treat with Praziquantel post hyposalinity if required.
 
Currently in the middle of treating Neobenedenia at 15ppt, day 25. I can still see visible Paravortex on some tangs, not confirmed with skin scrape, but fairly confident with diagnosis. The numbers are reduced. How much lower do I need to drop for treating Paravortex? I referenced noga, but did not find an answer besides Formalin or organophosphate. Not a big fan of Formalin and no experience with organophosphate. I read online that Praziquantel is effective, but this system has previously had multiple treatments and I have ran into a bacteria consumption issue I believe. Not opposed to transferring to clean system to treat with Praziquantel post hyposalinity if required.

There are a couple of turbellarians that cause black spot disease, as well as a few digenetic trematodes that can cause black spots.

I don’t know about treating those with hyposalinity, usually people use a FW dip and then move to a new tank.

Formalin dip and move to a new tank also works, but it’s dangerous to use in homes.

Organophosphates are even more dangerous to use.

A minor turbellarian infection will often die off on its own. That feeds reports of prazi working on these - correlation not causation. The prazi just temporarily stuns worms, and these are too deeply seated to drop off when stunned.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new