Best SPS nutrition?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into getting Red Sea’s reef energy A and B. It’s got aminos, carbs, vitamins, etc. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions on this and/or other products?

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel they are not necessarily if you have fish to feed. My current tank is new I used to dump Aquaforest, reef roids, and frozen pods in tank and got a break of sea lettuce and bubble algae. Later I stopped feeding those and my sps just got feed by frozen brine shrimp / mysis shrimp as I feed the fish they grow just as fast.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about SPS nutrition, but my zoas always responded extremely well to the product.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine lacks nutrition so I wouldn’t rely on it. I believe mysis is too big for SPS polyps to eat? I feed LRS reef frenzy but I can’t say for sure if there is enough aminos for them to eat.

The trick is to run the food through the fish digestive system to provide food to the coral.
If you have enough fish and feed them well the coral will get all the nutrients they need that way.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photons. Nothing beats photons for coral health. Feed your fish and give them photons. Nothing solved my problems until I doubled my lighting.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine lacks nutrition so I wouldn’t rely on it. I believe mysis is too big for SPS polyps to eat? I feed LRS reef frenzy but I can’t say for sure if there is enough aminos for them to eat.

I put a cube of frozen food (rotate brine and mysis each day) directly on power head so there will be small chucks/ dissolved organics getting into water. IMO as long as your nutrient output can take it feeding sps won’t do any harm. I also heard certain amino acids supplement can boost coral growth

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any thoughts about vitamins that corals need that can’t synthesized by corals themselves? Will food provide every nutrient needed?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any thoughts about vitamins that corals need that can’t synthesized by corals themselves? Will food provide every nutrient needed?

If they can't synthesize it then they have to acquire it from their environment.
How do corals on wild reefs do this?
Are these nutrients limiting coral growths in our tanks?
I don't know, but corals do have mouths for intake, and fish poop seems like a good place to start.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using a&b a few months ago now. I do 1/4 the recommended dosage. I am having a bunch of ulva(Sea lettuce) popping up all over now, but my corals seem very happy. The corals feel more slimy if you happen to be fragging or mounting them while using a&b. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing but that’s my experience lol. My sps polyp extension is the same but my lps have had much better pe and have been more successful in catching broadcasted mysis from feeding the fish. I like the product but don’t dose the full amount. It gave my tank algae issues.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they can't synthesize it then they have to acquire it from their environment.
How do corals on wild reefs do this?
Are these nutrients limiting coral growths in our tanks?
I don't know, but corals do have mouths for intake, and fish poop seems like a good place to start.
The ocean is huge and has lots of organisms that we can’t get in our tanks. No way we can replicate that food chain. We probably only feed a limited number of types of organisms to our tanks. While we can keep them healthy and alive, it’s hit or miss. This one is healthy so far. Hope to keep it that way.

5565CEE8-A1EF-4828-A058-64A376481B78.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally only broadcast feed LRS reef frenzy to my tank.

Nutrients in the form of Nitrates and Phosphates, proper light spectrum and intensity, proper flow and stable water parameters, good salt mix that's balanced in elements and some fish poo, will turn into sugars that will feed the zooxanthellae algae within the tissue of the coral. Do all that consistently, you will grow healthy coral.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally only broadcast feed LRS reef frenzy to my tank.

Nutrients in the form of Nitrates and Phosphates, proper light spectrum and intensity, proper flow and stable water parameters, good salt mix that's balanced in elements and some fish poo, will turn into sugars that will feed the zooxanthellae algae within the tissue of the coral. Do all that consistently, you will grow healthy coral.
That’s exactly what I’m doing now. Down to the T. I have to say LRS is the best thing I’ve used in my tank. Been using at least 4 months now. Fish are healthy and fat. Only one LPS loss in that period.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I’m doing now. Down to the T. I have to say LRS is the best thing I’ve used in my tank. Been using at least 4 months now. Fish are healthy and fat. Only one LPS loss in that period.

It's good stuff for fish and corals. Flipper approved! Lol!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good stuff for fish and corals. Flipper approved! Lol!
I actually emailed them to thank them for their product. When I was feeding my two sons milk formula, I was happy too. And never did I email those companies to thank them for their products ;Hilarious

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually emailed them to thank them for their product. When I was feeding my two sons milk formula, I was happy too. And never did I email those companies to thank them for their products ;Hilarious

Larry is a good guy. I follow him and LRS on FB. He frequently smokes meat or BBQ's personally for his staff for lunch! Man, I'd work for him making fish food just to eat lunch! Lol!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry is a good guy. I follow him and LRS on FB. He frequently smokes meat or BBQ's personally for his staff for lunch! Man, I'd work for him making fish food just to eat lunch! Lol!
I’d volunteer to work for free. I’ll even do the grunt work!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back