Best suited Carpet Anemone for clowns

ztorrico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up y'all!? So have my first "pack" of baby clowns on about day 20 of growing... And was trying to plan ahead and build them a "plush" home and get a decent carpet for them to host. What carpet species hosts best?? Thanks for any info!!

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!!! That would be Soo exciting! But I'm kind of new and have no answers for you. Sorry. But I'm still excited for you.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of clowns? Look at the thread sticky in anemone/clownfish forum to what nems and clowns go best together.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite is S. gigantea. Once acclimated, they are very hardy. Though not a carpet anemone, H. magnifica is another good option. It's the anemone seen at the beginning of Finding Nemo. Both species are natural hosts for both percula and ocellaris clownfish.

The other two clownfish hosting carpet species -- S. mertensii and S. haddoni, and nice options but each has its drawbacks. S. mertensii tends to grow very big and typically lays flat in the rockwork, taking up a lot of real estate. While small, they may be somewhat colorful, but most turn a drab brown color. S. haddoni are sand dwellers, so you'll need a deep sand bed to make it feel comfortable. They can also get very large.

OP
OP
ztorrico

ztorrico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah thanks for the info!! The parent clowns are Ultra A Picasso's.... But not sure what the babies will be based on what I've been reading. The parents host A Black Widow and I've had the same ones host a Red Haddoni (R.I.P, thanks powerhead) ...busy I've only had that one carpet. But seems based on your feedback the haddoni would be a good fit again. Thanks for the responses again!!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success with Haddoni. I currently have 3 in my 40b and my clowns bounce between all of them, and my RBTA. Every haddoni I have had has hosted clowns. From occs to maroons, Spotcinctus, and Carkii's.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back