OP
deepseasurfer

deepseasurfer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sounds right the actinic is a low par bulb for sure I ran the 4 blue plus 1 super purple and a Giesemann 6500 k for a year and decided now that I am switching out the 6500 for the coral plus to see how it works out I get great growth either way

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sounds right the actinic is a low par bulb for sure I ran the 4 blue plus 1 super purple and a Giesemann 6500 k for a year and decided now that I am switching out the 6500 for the coral plus to see how it works out I get great growth either way

Low PAR but high PUR. so the end result may be the same, I'm not sure. The Apogee meter really drops off below 450. I really don't know, but I haven't seen any drop in my Alk usage since adding the actinic. /shrug :)

http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/light-intensity-measurements-for-light-emitting-diodes-leds/

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All Giesemann bulbs.

2 actinic blues

2 super actinics

1 aquablue-coral

1 super purple

I got to say I am liking the Giesmann bulbs.

I run ATI on my frag tanks and will be switching them over.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Low PAR but high PUR. so the end result may be the same, I'm not sure. The Apogee meter really drops off below 450. I really don't know, but I haven't seen any drop in my Alk usage since adding the actinic. /shrug :)

http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/light-intensity-measurements-for-light-emitting-diodes-leds/

Agreed par meters have a hard time reading blue.

-------
With the efficiency of lamps and fixtures now a days I dont worry about par unless the tank is really deep. I go for what I like and make my corals look better anyway.

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run front to back
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+

I get good growth and good color. It isn't as blue as it sounds. I really like the coral+ bulb.
I know the thread is old but was curious if you run the blue + bulbs as your start up and then the other 2 bulbs kick on later or is your c+ p+ your start up bulbs. TIA.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the thread is old but was curious if you run the blue + bulbs as your start up and then the other 2 bulbs kick on later or is your c+ p+ your start up bulbs. TIA.
I personally ran 2 blue+ as "dusk/dawn". I also like the look of a blue+ and purple+ as "dusk/dawn"

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back