Best T5 actinics?

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a T5 bulb that is like a deep royal blue for actinics? With the LEDs coming out I figured somebody in the T5 world would be coming out with something new...no?

youngtimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ATI blue plus for my actinics, I have also used UVL super actinic. I think I may try some LED's like sunbright tubes next.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ati blue+ but I also like the look of geismann actinic+ bulbs. Nothing new that I've heard of.

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried the giesemann actinic but you really cant see them unless all the lights are off, and running them with other bulbs really doesn't do much bc they aren't bright enough and other bulbs over power them.

I am running 2 ati blue+, 1 fiji purple, and one blue special now. Just want something with a little more umph. Something that is bluer than the blue+ and a little brighter the giesemann would be nice. maybe I'm just being too picky lol. The reefbrites are nice but they are realllllyyyy over priced for what they are IMO. Thanks for the feedback

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried the giesemann actinic but you really cant see them unless all the lights are off, and running them with other bulbs really doesn't do much bc they aren't bright enough and other bulbs over power them.

I am running 2 ati blue+, 1 fiji purple, and one blue special now. Just want something with a little more umph. Something that is bluer than the blue+ and a little brighter the giesemann would be nice. maybe I'm just being too picky lol. The reefbrites are nice but they are realllllyyyy over priced for what they are IMO. Thanks for the feedback

They don't have much impact with all the lights on but I use them for dusk and dawn effect and boy, do my corals light up when they are on by themselves.

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acticnic bulbs

Ok what bulb puts out the best pop. I saw alot of led units used at the last frag swap and was impressed by the acticnic applied but does anything put out as much pop as the VHO'S ?
Is there A particular T5 bulb or led that will compete or beat the old vho's?

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what bulb puts out the best pop. I saw alot of led units used at the last frag swap and was impressed by the acticnic applied but does anything put out as much pop as the VHO'S ?
Is there A particular T5 bulb or led that will compete or beat the old vho's?

There is no T5 in my opinion that compares to VHO's. VHO's are bright and make the colors pop, T5 actinics are barely noticeable compared to them. T5's do bring out more colors in the coral though because you can use lots of colored tubes, just not that "pop". To get that pop with T5's the whole tank is washed out looking (blue) and to my eye's doesn't look good. About the only way to do it is to run both VHO's and T5's.

LEDs have the best color for overall actinics/tank appearance/ and florescence of corals, but for the money LED's run a T5 bulb that does the same would be ideal. Icecap makes a T5 bulb (really just a tube) with LED's built in, but doesn't run like the other T5's. I haven't seen these in person to justify using them for actinics for the $$$

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back