OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I might go with a 5 foot tank. Would that open up more tangs?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5-footer would make a smaller Tang (such as a Yellow Eyed Kole Tang) appreciably happier than a 4-foot tank, and a 6-foot even more so. If you really like Tangs, maybe go for length (linear swim room) over height— e.g., come down from 24” to just 18”...

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would doing a 120 tall work better? It's 60x24x18.

Not sure if it's too narrow for a good aqua scape though. 5 feet might be better for some larger tangs?

Taller tanks are a pain (ie cleaning, need light to penetrate deep and getting enough flow can be issues) and don't offer much in terms of additional space that the fish really use. With the small to medium sized Tangs if the tank is 18-20 inches deep that is plenty, it's the length and width that tend to make the difference.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2E6E3D87-6B18-40A8-A288-7BFDD56948D0.jpeg

I completely agree with @Jesterrace about the Tangs appreciating length and width over height. Heck, my Kole Tang is in this converted frag tank, 60” L x 24” W x only 12” H. (VERY easy to reach in and clean.). Your proposed 60 x 24 x 18 would be my personal dream-dimensions. :)

ramabama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I completely agree with @Jesterrace about the Tangs appreciating length and width over height. Heck, my Kole Tang is in this converted frag tank, 60” L x 24” W x only 12” H. (VERY easy to reach in and clean.). Your proposed 60 x 24 x 18 would be my personal dream-dimensions. :)
That's a sweet set up. Don't know why but I absolutely love short tanks. Don't have one but always have wanted one.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's 60 L x 18 W x 24 H unfortunately. I am worried about the width but I'm thinking I might go with it for the extra foot of swimming space.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 18” wide, just be sure not to take your rock-work all the way to the ends (to help with turn-around), and it will be best for a full length behind the rocks for a swim run as well :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I say this as someone with a 90 gallon tank that is 25 inches deep, and yes it is is a pain in the butt to clean, etc. In hindsight I would've gone with a shorter and wider tank (I am limited to 4 feet in length in the space I have unfortunately).

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taller tanks are a pain (ie cleaning, need light to penetrate deep and getting enough flow can be issues) and don't offer much in terms of additional space that the fish really use. With the small to medium sized Tangs if the tank is 18-20 inches deep that is plenty, it's the length and width that tend to make the difference.

Ignoring the height (since both tanks I am looking at are 24 inches tall), do you think it would be better to have a tank that is 4 feet by 2 feet or 5 feet by 18 inches for tangs?

Would the 5 foot tank open me up to a Yellow Tang or other larger fish (given the same volume)?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the 5 foot with 18 inch width. While 24 inches of width is nice, you can get by with 18, but an extra foot in length can sure make a big difference. A 5 foot would be better for a Yellow Tang, but it's still no guarantee that you won't get a butthead of a YT. It would also be better for a One Spot Foxface (they can do a larger 4 foot tank, but would be happier long term in a 5-6 foot long tank). I would just give up the obsession with the Yellow Tang, get a Kole and a One Spot and call it good. You will have much better chance of long term success and not have to deal with the hassle of trapping and removing a jerk of a fish.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the 5 foot with 18 inch width. While 24 inches of width is nice, you can get by with 18, but an extra foot in length can sure make a big difference. A 5 foot would be better for a Yellow Tang, but it's still no guarantee that you won't get a butthead of a YT. It would also be better for a One Spot Foxface (they can do a larger 4 foot tank, but would be happier long term in a 5-6 foot long tank). I would just give up the obsession with the Yellow Tang, get a Kole and a One Spot and call it good. You will have much better chance of long term success and not have to deal with the hassle of trapping and removing a jerk of a fish.

That is fair. I am doing a cost analysis and the lighting on the 5 foot tank would bring the cost up to the same as the 4 foot 120 I am looking at.
I'll probably just stick with my original footprint and make it a wrasse dominated tank.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just pump the breaks for now. My new tank doesn't need to be set up for another 9 months or so. I tend to get overly excited and jump into things.

I need to just wait for the perfect tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just pump the breaks for now. My new tank doesn't need to be set up for another 9 months or so. I tend to get overly excited and jump into things.

I need to just wait for the perfect tank.

That would be best, I waited a few months while I waited for a complete used 90 gallon setup to surface. It ended up being a mixed bag though, had to replace the main tank as it was really scratched, but I was able to resell it as is and replace it with a brand new 90 for about $100 more and then pair it with the other used equipment, so not all bad.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be best, I waited a few months while I waited for a complete used 90 gallon setup to surface. It ended up being a mixed bag though, had to replace the main tank as it was really scratched, but I was able to resell it as is and replace it with a brand new 90 for about $100 more and then pair it with the other used equipment, so not all bad.

I might try to do something similar.

I want to say thanks as you have been helpful as I navigate this. I don't make a lot of money so I want this upgrade to really count.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend against a powder blue. This is not an ethical home for a fish that swims several miles per day in the wild at times. They're very active and stress in confined tanks, particularly those less than 6 feet long. The minimum size is 180, and I would argue even that's small for a full-sized adult.

Good suggestions: Tomini, Kole, Yellow, Perhaps a Purple. As far as foxface go, they're not as active and most varieties will do fine in a 4 foot tank.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend against a powder blue. This is not an ethical home for a fish that swims several miles per day in the wild at times. They're very active and stress in confined tanks, particularly those less than 6 feet long. The minimum size is 180, and I would argue even that's small for a full-sized adult.

Good suggestions: Tomini, Kole, Yellow, Perhaps a Purple. As far as foxface go, they're not as active and most varieties will do fine in a 4 foot tank.

Since I made the first post I have completely ruled out PBTs and any larger tang. I am mostly looking at the Yellow Eye Kole right now. I am not sure if I would do a Yellow Tang in a 120 so I might go with a One Spot Foxface instead.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back