Best Tang for a 120

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an upgrade from my 90 to a 120 (48x24x24)in the works and I am having some fun planning out the fish stocking. I am planning on doing a softie dominated tank with few LPS and some monties.

Other stocking plans include my current fish:
2 Black Photon Clowns
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
Blue Star Leopard

I am hoping to add a number of wrasses as well when I do get the upgrade.

That being said I am looking to add a larger centerpiece fish and tangs stick out to me.

Never having kept a tang before, who would be best?

I was thinking a Yellow Tang or a Tomini Tang?

I have always loved PBT but I fear a 4 foot wont be enough room to keep him happy over his whole life. Other favorites of mine include Scopas, Naso (they get too big though) and Hippo (too big as well?).

Let me know what you think I should do with my stocking!

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a small PBT and don't over feed it. It will not out grow your tank. Mine is in a 75, 3 years old and 5" long. Have had 3 tangs in 75s and their growth is stunted by tank size if you don't over load on food. Don't know why but that is how it works.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a small PBT and don't over feed it. It will not out grow your tank. Mine is in a 75, 3 years old and 5" long. Have had 3 tangs in 75s and their growth is stunted by tank size if you don't over load on food. Don't know why but that is how it works.

Thanks for the reply. I really would love a PBT but I have no interest in keeping it small or stunting its growth. The hope is that I can find a nice showy tang that can grow to full size and live its whole life in the 120 with no negative health affects.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote bristletooth tang. a Yelloweye Kole tang will work and they are beautiful and one of the most hardworking at picking at rock and algae IMO.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellows I know are pretty ticky, especially to other tangs or anything that might be competition for algaes or swim space, and new additions to tank.
Scopas may do same.

I'm pushing it a little bit w/ a lavendar tang in my 120g going by listed tank minimums, but mine is extremely peaceful, similar to tennenti or naso in nature, but smaller size.
Mine seems a good fit to my tank, and I'm keeping just the one tang so it has free reign, and it's caused no problems w/ new fish to tank.

There are lots of pretty tangs out there, but besides size appropriate, I place a lot in keeping the peace.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellows I know are pretty ticky, especially to other tangs or anything that might be competition for algaes or swim space, and new additions to tank.
Scopas may do same.

I'm pushing it a little bit w/ a lavendar tang in my 120g going by listed tank minimums, but mine is extremely peaceful, similar to tennenti or naso in nature, but smaller size.
Mine seems a good fit to my tank, and I'm keeping just the one tang so it has free reign, and it's caused no problems w/ new fish to tank.

There are lots of pretty tangs out there, but besides size appropriate, I place a lot in keeping the peace.

I only would want to keep one tang for sure. The last thing I want is a violent tank lol.

I had not considered the Lavender Tang before. I really like the look of them but I will have to do some reading on them since I am not that familiar.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only would want to keep one tang for sure. The last thing I want is a violent tank lol.

I had not considered the Lavender Tang before. I really like the look of them but I will have to do some reading on them since I am not that familiar.

I hesitate in recommending that just because my advice is usually to the conservative side, and it's on the bubble to be honest, but keeping it solo, and w/ my fairly open scape, coupled w/ it's personality I feel was a still a good and responsible choice in my tank for me.

The bristles mentioned and listed are for sure fine lifers in that size tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an upgrade from my 90 to a 120 (48x24x24)in the works and I am having some fun planning out the fish stocking. I am planning on doing a softie dominated tank with few LPS and some monties.

Other stocking plans include my current fish:
2 Black Photon Clowns
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
Blue Star Leopard

I am hoping to add a number of wrasses as well when I do get the upgrade.

That being said I am looking to add a larger centerpiece fish and tangs stick out to me.

Never having kept a tang before, who would be best?

I was thinking a Yellow Tang or a Tomini Tang?

I have always loved PBT but I fear a 4 foot wont be enough room to keep him happy over his whole life. Other favorites of mine include Scopas, Naso (they get too big though) and Hippo (too big as well?).

Let me know what you think I should do with my stocking!

I'd skip the Yellow and go with the Tomini. The Yellow is more prone to outgrowing the 4 foot long tank as it gets older. Goodness knows I had to kick mine out of my 90 gallon (same dimensions just 18 inches wide instead of 24 inches wide) for trying to take over the whole tank (and he wasn't half grown yet). The Tomini on the other hand would be very comfortable long term in a 120. PBT is too small for that tank, they need the 6 foot length long term and can become quite assertive. The smaller bristletooth varieties are best for the 4 foot long tanks:

Tomini
Yellow Eye Kole
Two Spot (aka Blue Eye Kole Tang)
Squaretail
and if you are patient and have the money: The White Tail Bristletooth

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd skip the Yellow and go with the Tomini. The Yellow is more prone to outgrowing the 4 foot long tank as it gets older. Goodness knows I had to kick mine out of my 90 gallon (same dimensions just 18 inches wide instead of 24 inches wide) for trying to take over the whole tank (and he wasn't half grown yet). The Tomini on the other hand would be very comfortable long term in a 120. PBT is too small for that tank, they need the 6 foot length long term and can become quite assertive. The smaller bristletooth varieties are best for the 4 foot long tanks:

Tomini
Yellow Eye Kole
Two Spot (aka Blue Eye Kole Tang)
Squaretail
and if you are patient and have the money: The White Tail Bristletooth

This is the sort of information I am looking for. I have 0 interest in keeping an animal in an unsuitable environment.

Leaning heavily towards the Yellow Eye Kole right now.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the sort of information I am looking for. I have 0 interest in keeping an animal in an unsuitable environment.

Leaning heavily towards the Yellow Eye Kole right now.

That would be a great "bang for buck" type choice for your tank.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a Yellow or Scopas would be happy it's whole life in a 120?
Have a purple and tomini by accident in a 93 cube. Had to remove both for fighting in my 300gal. Both were being picked on. Both happy and get along so far 6months in the 93 cube. Also have 5 tangs now in 300 reef and 3 in 300 gal fish only system. Planning can be so much fun! I lov my yellow tang!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys!

What do you think about a foxface instead of a tang?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back