Best tank size for reef

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A loaded question with a different answer for each taste.. For a newbie, I see 4 tanks..

40B, 60 Cube, 75 and lastly the 120 Fatboy.. for a 6 foot tank.. its a 125 to 180.. All min 18 inch front to back 24

For me perwsonally I want the 150 fatboy..

That is 48 long by 24 high by 30 deep.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75G.

Large enough but still manageable and not life-controlling.

When you get into the 6 foot tanks, you're the person bringing their dog to the restaurant.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a question that has haunted me for a long time. After a lot of consideration and experience I would say that the best size for a reef is a 120x60x60 cm (close to 4'x2'x2') or something within a 10cm diference on whatever way you would like. I believe that comes up to a 125G. Here are my considerations:

-Good room to play with the most common fish, inverts and corals.
-Decent volume for dilution
-Wide availability of equipment in different price ranges. (Makes it easier to upgrade)
-Good depth and height for your aquascape
-Most likely won't give you structual problems in your house while bigger tanks could
that's right... fewer light fixtures, the ability to run a 150-160mm skimmer, fewer wave pumps and a smaller sump. Things get a lot more expensive when you reach 5' in length and 200+ gallons.

onegreenray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 or 125 gallon but factor some things:

- your budget
- amount of room available
- Ability to support tank weight
- Stocking plan
- Goals ( reef, fish only or?)
- equipment needed to support tank you choose
I agree with the above. But remember bigger is better....but with great size comes great expense. Sorry trying to sound like uncle ben(spiderman) personally I had a 90 gallon. Its alot of work. I prefer the 40 breeder i have now with the wife and kids. Shallow and easy on the back.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree with the above. But remember bigger is better....but with great size comes great expense. Sorry trying to sound like uncle ben(spiderman) personally I had a 90 gallon. Its alot of work. I prefer the 40 breeder i have now with the wife and kids. Shallow and easy on the back.
When you have Bigger- Expense no longer a factor/. . . LOL

seahorsebill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinions what is the best tank size for a reef? I have a 20G long reef that I absolutely love, but I am desperate for a larger reef setup - I just think having more room to grow coral etc would make it even more enjoyable for me! Just wondering what size tanks you think are the best? I think a 100G and upwards :)
50,000 gallon. Lol

sleepingdeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted something big coming from nano tanks but ended up deciding a 50g is plenty of maintenance for me to handle with work and the wife :)

Im sure theres plenty of bigger is better guys here though lol.
ive always had nanos and decided to make the jump to a 90g. that lasted all of 5 months before i couldn't stand refilling my ato every other day. i currently have an IM40g and its the best size ive had so far. just the right amount of space with minimal maintenance.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned 6x2x2, 4x2x2 and 48x30x20
I just ordered a 60x24x20
My 48x30x20 was my favorite but I feel 60x24x20 will be ideal for me. More room for fish territory but only 125 gal. Only thing I’m not looking forward to is lighting it.
i really wanted 60x28x20 but cost got too high for me.
I will never own a tank over 20” again.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A loaded question with a different answer for each taste.. For a newbie, I see 4 tanks..

40B, 60 Cube, 75 and lastly the 120 Fatboy.. for a 6 foot tank.. its a 125 to 180.. All min 18 inch front to back 24

For me perwsonally I want the 150 fatboy..

That is 48 long by 24 high by 30 deep.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a stone coral aquarium I think the owner should be the limit. You need to reach every inch of the tank for modifying
and taking out pests. For me at 6 foot it means 26 inch height and about 34 inch depth. The length can be limited by the room it is in. Of coarse can the economy set other limits but nowadays with ICP tests and dosing pumps is it possible to maintain a tank without or with very few water changes.
For a tank with mushrooms and zoas I think 120 gallon is a limit. They spread all around the tank when they have filled the rock they are growing on. It is hardly managable to keep them where You want them.
I have a few owners of 2m tanks (6 foot 8 inches) that has problems with mushrooms popping up here and there burning SPS.
Personally I am now starting a 17 gallon cube for symbiotic shrimps and other small animals impossible to see in my 420 gallon. Small tanks can be best for some animals.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the perfect size reef would be 8' x 4' x 28" H but I don't have it (yet).

I always used to think that a 180 was just about perfect. It's an actuall BIG tank in my opinion as it provides that 2' front to back that really gives you a lot of extra room for scaping. It allows you to have some of those bigger fish like tangs and angels. It's still only 6' long so it isn't so huge that it gets in the way and if you're thinking of a 6' 125 then you might as well just get the 180 and love it even more. That said, the extra 1' of depth on my 300 is fantastic.

For cost, anything 4' wide or less is going to be optimal for so many reasons. Cost is significantly lower than on a 6' tank and there are really no restrictions for what corals you can add (just how many).

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think theres such a thing as "the best size" for everyone. The best size it what you can afford, maintain, afford to maintain, and fit in your house/condo/trailer/garage.
That being said, the best size for me is a 150 (5x2x2). Most of the equipment from my 4 footer is being reused. It fits in my house and I can maintain it well.

I also cant afford anything larger.

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was told $$ for tanks to maintain going to 120 to 180 was not much more

they are right

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive always had nanos and decided to make the jump to a 90g. that lasted all of 5 months before i couldn't stand refilling my ato every other day. i currently have an IM40g and its the best size ive had so far. just the right amount of space with minimal maintenance.
I love all my builds, but I look at my 4g pest jarquarium the most. It's on a side table in the living room. It's got lots of neat stuff in it and requires top-off about once a week. Some tanks just don't need fish to be interesting.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinions what is the best tank size for a reef? I have a 20G long reef that I absolutely love, but I am desperate for a larger reef setup - I just think having more room to grow coral etc would make it even more enjoyable for me! Just wondering what size tanks you think are the best? I think a 100G and upwards :)
I absolutely love the 20 long dimensions. Bang for buck it's up there with the best.

40 breeder would be on the list for amazing dimensions and very manageable.

But if you have the money, bigger is better. If you automate as much as possible on a big tank, once it gets running smoothly, it doesn't take a ton of time.

As long as you can fit in the room, 24" high, 3-4' wide.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back