What's your ideal tank size?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
553
Reaction score
499
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their own personal favorite tank size, for most people it usually tends to run between 40-120 gallons which is big enough for good stability but not big enough to break the bank. I really like the footprint a 75 gives you, not taking up too much space but enough for a decent amount of small to medium sized fish, and a good variety of coral with space to grow.
 
I had a 90 and wished I had a bigger tank. Then I got a 150 and wish I had a bigger tank.

Going from water changes with a bucket to a trash can proved to not be that big of a headache
 
I have a 20gal with a 30gal sump because the plan was always a 120gal display. Have had it for 2 years... now considering the cost of equipment, on going expenses plus the time required... not sure I want to grow to a 120. Plus I love to see the tank packed. Maybe with time, I learned this is a marathon not a sprint.
 
For my current home, it would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 125-150g. 5' long, 18-24" wide, 21" deep. Realistically I can't go much bigger than that unless I got really creative and had buy-in from my wife on my somewhat unhinged idea to build an L-shaped semi-peninsula tank. Truth be told I don't know if I would even want to do that, but that would be about the only way to get a bigger tank into that space.

That's not my dream tank size, but for where I am now that's probably the ideal.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new