best temp controller.

Rstanphill

NE-Texasreefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the most reliable temp controller? I have an ink bird now but it is starting to fail. My apex woke me up to a tank at 75. Unplugged it and plugged it back in. Starts warming again. Today I swapped it out with a brs controller. But the ink bird gave me maybe 6 months of service.

Marine2149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang i just bought an ink bird.

did you contact the manufacture and see what kind of warrenty they supply. im curious if they will replace your unit.

OP
OP
Rstanphill

Rstanphill

NE-Texasreefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not yet. I suspected its like heaters and good for a year, maybe. The relays inside the controllers take a beating. Hints why I'm not running it off my apex.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy them prewired, but not hard to do it yourself. I bought the two stage one, so one heater turns on at 78 and the second at 77.

Here’s some easy to follow instructions for wiring:

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get the shrink wrap they offer for the immersed probe.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp probes for most of the non-reef-tank-specific controllers are not enduring in salt water .... thus the importance of having a sleeve. I believe recent inkbird models are now sold with a salt safe probe though. Ranco is an industrial quality controller that will usually last for many years. I’ve two approaching 10 years old and they are still working as new.

OP
OP
Rstanphill

Rstanphill

NE-Texasreefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp probes for most of the non-reef-tank-specific controllers are not enduring in salt water .... thus the importance of having a sleeve. I believe recent inkbird models are now sold with a salt safe probe though. Ranco is an industrial quality controller that will usually last for many years. I’ve two approaching 10 years old and they are still working as new.
I'm pretty sure that's the route I'm going to go. Can't beat long term dependability.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back