Best tips for coral growth?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s all I feed my corals ( not counting the fish poop ) . Considering heavy bio load, I give 3 pinches of yeast every other day.
I feed my fish with the myces shrimp and dry pellets. My fish also like to eat yeast.
Thanks for sharing. Very nice tank by the way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Food. Animals like to eat.

There are some really good options out there, but I hit tanks with Reef Nutrition ArctiPods, ROE, Oyster Feast, Roti Feast, and Phyto Feast at least 3x/wk. Something for everybody (including the fish). If alk and Ca+ is good, corals grow like crazy.

I posted this pic in the LPS forum, but here’s a tank that I do that has a forest of frogspawn. These 4 colonies came from a single 6-7 head colony. There’s an auto-feeder right above that drops pellets in and a lot of them land on the coral. It prob took 3 1/2 years to go from a 6 polyp colony to these guys:

4kRDjXc.jpg

Now that's Euphillia !!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok, so what are the best things you've done for your coral? What are the best tips you can offer to help coral really take off in a reef tank? I know we typically talk about things like stability, and that's absolutely essential, but what I'm hoping this will be is a thread with "tricks of the trade" that you've found REALLY made a difference in keeping coral healthy and growing that go beyond just the basics. What has worked well for you?

Pohls Coral system 1-2-3-4 once a week along with water changes. For SPS- 1.5 m/l of flatworm treatment by pohls also once a week which contains lots of nutrients.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you feed the yeast? Just broadcast it?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a scientist nor have done any research on this, but a very knowledgeable reefer has told me that he has been feeding his corals with this for decades. I have followed his advice, with great success.

All I know, this product does not raise my nitrates, comparing with other coral food.

IMG_0169.JPG
Also raw egg, little at a time, no effect on nitrates, po4, ......

Jberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found increasing the flow to help the most. Also decreasing the light intensity, I was bleaching out some of the corals.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RussiReef
interesting to hear on the yeast broadcast feeding, do you dissolve in tank water before and also like to know whether the skimmer has to be kept off or it can run
I don’t dissolve it , just added to my tank. And I don’t turn off my skimmer

Nicolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Russi Reef can you tell me what type of Chloramine filter you used please and a photo if possible I would greatly appreciate it, you can email me if you want ([email protected])
I would like to try your system out as it is painful with all the coral foods and supplements they have and every one suggesting all different ideas
Thank you

Nicolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi RussiReef could you please tell me what type of Chloramine filter you are using and a photo if possible as I would like to try your system out as I am tired of all these products out there and every one having dirrerent opinions.
You can email me if you like ([email protected])
Thank you

Yvonne Wong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High flow, stable alk (9), feed fish daily and feed corals weekly with mixture of reef roids, artic pods, fish eggs, and rotifers.

Yvonne Wong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High flow, stable alk (9), feed fish daily and feed corals weekly with mixture of reef roids, artic pods, fish eggs, and rotifers.[/QUOTE]

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back