Best tips for coral growth?

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man o man, that's a nice hand. Nice color. Well manicured. Un blemished & good even growth.
What do you feed it?

:D

I have to agree. If you ever think about fragging that hand, I’d like a piece. It would look great next to a torch coral I have . . . But not as good is does next to those frogspawn.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this post - video, by @ash9965 in the General Invert Forum very inspiring.
Its a permanent thriving population of artemia (brine shrimp) living in the entire system.
Decided to give it a go myself.

Check especially at 5:49 when he shines his torch in his tank
This https://www.thesprucepets.com/what-do-corals-eat-2924017 is a good read to go with it.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A632A259-C2AF-4B88-AC93-A33A1EA54D18.jpeg

Yes,that what I feed my corals.

Mind BLOWN. And off to google I go. Lol

jimbob928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as non yeast-related coral growth is concerned..
I have an observation. Two of my montipora frags were growing slowly as the way I had them mounted, the edges were out in the open not touching anything. (think of a top hat shape) I re-mounted it to a piece of flat rock so the edges are touching rock. It has taken off growing out onto the rock. I've had more growth in the last couple of weeks than the previous three months. I guess some corals are "programmed" to grow onto some sort of substrate. Not meeting that criteria was impeding the coral growth. Weird.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank stability, high flow, feeding (mix of various frozen foods, with occasional reef roids, reef chili or can-o-cyclops) and I also have Acropower on a doser.
It's anecdotal (but enough for me to stay with it and talk about it), SPS growth was already good and has increased (very nicely) since putting Acropower on a nightly dose.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this post - video, by @ash9965 in the General Invert Forum very inspiring.
Its a permanent thriving population of artemia (brine shrimp) living in the entire system.
Decided to give it a go myself.

Check especially at 5:49 when he shines his torch in his tank
This https://www.thesprucepets.com/what-do-corals-eat-2924017 is a good read to go with it.

That is really amazing. I have to give it a try in my system once my chaeto comes back from a hard hit from Vibrantly.

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as non yeast-related coral growth is concerned..
I have an observation. Two of my montipora frags were growing slowly as the way I had them mounted, the edges were out in the open not touching anything. (think of a top hat shape) I re-mounted it to a piece of flat rock so the edges are touching rock. It has taken off growing out onto the rock. I've had more growth in the last couple of weeks than the previous three months. I guess some corals are "programmed" to grow onto some sort of substrate. Not meeting that criteria was impeding the coral growth. Weird.
Exactly. I found the same thing with my montis. They like to grow on something.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. My corals like to eat yeast

I have been in the hobby a long time, and consider myself a bonafide info junkie. I used to drive my boss at the LFS I worked at crazy with all the theories I had just read and new info. Lol.... I feed all kinds of food for corals, from chili and roids to phyto and aminos, but I hadn't seen this before. Definitely gonna try it....

Did we reach a consensus on if it must be a certain kind of yeast? Is the "live" kind ok??

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby a long time, and consider myself a bonafide info junkie. I used to drive my boss at the LFS I worked at crazy with all the theories I had just read and new info. Lol.... I feed all kinds of food for corals, from chili and roids to phyto and aminos, but I hadn't seen this before. Definitely gonna try it....

Did we reach a consensus on if it must be a certain kind of yeast? Is the "live" kind ok??
People feed it to hatched brine shrimp

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This of you who feed yeast, what are your thoughts on the product reef bugs? A friend started using it a while ago and his tank turned around better than I have ever seen. It's always been in my head to try it but the reviews seem to keep me at Bay. Even though the science behind it seems to be a really good addition to a mature reef tank.

No one? Really? Its been out for ever. It mostly yeast but peoples opinions are varying on the live part, I would say it could be a good thing considering what I saw my friends tank turn into after daily dosing. Just wondering which part of the product helped more.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly I have no idea it is a live or not. That what I feed my corals and they like it.

DF19D6D1-BF94-445A-AF5C-3920735D2363.jpeg

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What possible purpose could dead yeast yield? The whole reason people buy yeast is for it to multiply and produce either CO2 or alcohol.
You can’t use dead yeast for baking or brewing. This would immediately stop 99% of shops from even stocking dead yeast.

From what I have found most commercial strains of yeast exhibit a hyper sensitivity to saltwater. It kills them through their inability to osmoregulate in that environment.

The whole discussion of must it be live or dead is pointless. You will almost certainly not be buying dead/denatured yeast and along with that even when you add the yeast it will die anyway in the tank.

TL:DR
Dead yeast or live yeast makes no difference in any way. As it happens I plan to experiment with it also in my tank. Any form of non hazardous bacteria that act as a food source for corals is of interest to me.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food. Animals like to eat.

There are some really good options out there, but I hit tanks with Reef Nutrition ArctiPods, ROE, Oyster Feast, Roti Feast, and Phyto Feast at least 3x/wk. Something for everybody (including the fish). If alk and Ca+ is good, corals grow like crazy.

I posted this pic in the LPS forum, but here’s a tank that I do that has a forest of frogspawn. These 4 colonies came from a single 6-7 head colony. There’s an auto-feeder right above that drops pellets in and a lot of them land on the coral. It prob took 3 1/2 years to go from a 6 polyp colony to these guys:

4kRDjXc.jpg

WOW!

Thanks so much for applying our feeds. If you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,
Chad

Last edited:

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they get about 75% of their energy from light. The other 25 is from food. So if you fed your coral, you will eventually see more growth. So my tip, feed them and don't screw with your tank parameters! good luck!

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those frogspawn are really beautiful and amazing

Maria

Food. Animals like to eat.

There are some really good options out there, but I hit tanks with Reef Nutrition ArctiPods, ROE, Oyster Feast, Roti Feast, and Phyto Feast at least 3x/wk. Something for everybody (including the fish). If alk and Ca+ is good, corals grow like crazy.

I posted this pic in the LPS forum, but here’s a tank that I do that has a forest of frogspawn. These 4 colonies came from a single 6-7 head colony. There’s an auto-feeder right above that drops pellets in and a lot of them land on the coral. It prob took 3 1/2 years to go from a 6 polyp colony to these guys:

4kRDjXc.jpg

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a scientist nor have done any research on this, but a very knowledgeable reefer has told me that he has been feeding his corals with this for decades. I have followed his advice, with great success.

All I know, this product does not raise my nitrates, comparing with other coral food.

IMG_0169.JPG
stunning...absolutely stunning... wow , I'm going to have to feed mine the same

Marie

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back