Best tubing for Maxi set up for AWC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use ro tubing.

I simply pull x amount out with head 1, then put x amount back in with head 2. I monitor with the conductivity probe and test by hand occasionally. It has worked very well for over a year for me. I generally add a bit more fresh saltwater in than I pull out. This accounts for the kh director and skimmer water over time.

Another way to do awc would be get 2 float switches. pull water out, down to the bottom float switch, then add water back to the top float switch. This may be the better way to implement awc's, especially if you're using a sa maxi doser without a conductivity probe.

You can also disable auto top off during these events, but I don't. If you notice pulling x amount of water out makes the Ato run during the awc's it would be a good idea to disable it. My system and sump is fairly large so it's never a problem for me personally.

OP
OP
bfsaunde

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use ro tubing.

I simply pull x amount out with head 1, then put x amount back in with head 2. I monitor with the conductivity probe and test by hand occasionally. It has worked very well for over a year for me. I generally add a bit more fresh saltwater in than I pull out. This accounts for the kh director and skimmer water over time.

Another way to do awc would be get 2 float switches. pull water out, down to the bottom float switch, then add water back to the top float switch. This may be the better way to implement awc's, especially if you're using a sa maxi doser without a conductivity probe.

You can also disable auto top off during these events, but I don't. If you notice pulling x amount of water out makes the Ato run during the awc's it would be a good idea to disable it. My system and sump is fairly large so it's never a problem for me personally.
Thanks , I didn’t think RO tubing would mate up to the heads.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh sorry, it won't without the right fittings. I've used the irrigation drip connectors from big box stores, but you can also use john guest fittings. 1/8" female thread to 1/4" push fit.

Here's what the irrigation fittings look like and they work very well...
UTB8CWbXlXfFXKJk43Otq6xIPFXam.jpg

And here is what the john guest fittings look like...

john-guest-couplings-adaptors-803349-64_1000.jpg

I just prefer ro line to prevent light penetration, plus it comes in many colors and looks great!

OP
OP
bfsaunde

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry, it won't without the right fittings. I've used the irrigation drip connectors from big box stores, but you can also use john guest fittings. 1/8" female thread to 1/4" push fit.

Here's what the irrigation fittings look like and they work very well...
UTB8CWbXlXfFXKJk43Otq6xIPFXam.jpg

And here is what the john guest fittings look like...

john-guest-couplings-adaptors-803349-64_1000.jpg

I just prefer ro line to prevent light penetration, plus it comes in many colors and looks great!
Hi WWIII, thanks for the very detailed reply to my post. I just ordered the Maxi and will just need to get it in my hands for it to all make since. The part information you provided is going to be very helpful I’m sure.

Mario P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
im in the process of setting up the same doser for awc. following along for the advice.
thx!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a DOS user, most that run RO tubing tend to gravitate towards using the John Guest push-connect adapters. Since the Maxi heads appear to be identical to the DOS ones (I'll know in a couple weeks for sure), the same soft / hard mod will probably work.

Stackrat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm confused now that the response to this was "It doesn't", as it actually does. I just connected standard ro tubing to my Maxi doser without any issue. Fits like a glove. I'm a bit worried now that I'm missing something obvious.

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused now that the response to this was "It doesn't", as it actually does. I just connected standard ro tubing to my Maxi doser without any issue. Fits like a glove. I'm a bit worried now that I'm missing something obvious.
Ditto. I’ve just connected 6mm (1/4 for the US) John Guest tubing straight to my maxi. No other fittings needed:

3E6322D0-9D65-49DA-A761-92FB1C6EF735.jpeg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys aren't missing anything, the default plastic compression fittings can work with RO tubing just fine. Some have found though, again, with DOS heads (which appear to be an exact match to the Maxi heads) that the compression fitting can back off slightly over time and create air ingress situations. The push connect fitting doesn't look as svelte, but completely removes that possibility if done correctly.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The issue I had with connecting ro line directly to the maxi was getting air inside the tubing. It would lose its prime. As long as that doesn't happen it would be fine to connect directly.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RO tubing connected directly to my Maxi dosers for ATO and AWC. It's only been a few weeks but no issues so far, working great.

Cheers, Tony

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back