Best turkey baster blowing off rocks?

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one do you find best for blowing off rocks? The cheap dollar store ones aren't good for anything but squirting food.
I've tried using small pumps in tank with tubing attached but I create too many frags.
I don’t know if one turkey baster will be better than another…I’ve heard of people using their wave maker to blow of debris from their rocks though. Or, if you really want them clean, you can take them out, and scrub them with a toothbrush.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheapie, full-size, turkey baster works for me.
*initially, mine didn't have a good seal between the rubber squeeze bulb and the plastic tube but I used a Zip Tie to synch it tight and now the it produces plenty of blast
Thx I'll try that. I'm blowing off rocks in 4 tanks. Thinking about it some more I should probably just rig up a pump with a tube and place the pump in the sump and I can just direct the hose around the tank. New project!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx I'll try that. I'm blowing off rocks in 4 tanks. Thinking about it some more I should probably just rig up a pump with a tube and place the pump in the sump and I can just direct the hose around the tank. New project!
A small old school powerhead like a minjet 404 (now newa I think) type powerhead and some silicone tubing is what I used to use. Turkey basters always felt clumsy to me.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep the power head does work better the turkey basters can be a pain in the rear but as the op says maybe a zip Tie might make it work a bit better

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i use my small sicce nano pump and attached it to vinyl tubing and blow everything into the water column. wave pump would work fine as well. i found that with certain basters you couldn't get under rocks or point certain directions because of the size/shape. i can keep the pump in a corner pulling water while i hold the tubing and aim it where i want to with little to no issues

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came up with this contraption last night. Function over form ;) If it isn't strong enough I have an ultra zero pump and fitting I can attach ro tubing to and a valve to control flow but it's a bit bulky. Plan is to drop the pump in the sump and pull from there to reduce the risk of breaking corals. I can be a clumsy oaf. I have a long piece of tubing and a remote controlled outlet to turn it in and off while I'm on the ladder. I'll try it out later today.
PXL_20240418_024144065.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I came up with this contraption last night. Function over form ;) If it isn't strong enough I have an ultra zero pump and fitting I can attach ro tubing to and a valve to control flow but it's a bit bulky. Plan is to drop the pump in the sump and pull from there to reduce the risk of breaking corals. I can be a clumsy oaf. I have a long piece of tubing and a remote controlled outlet to turn it in and off while I'm on the ladder. I'll try it out later today.
PXL_20240418_024144065.jpg
this is basically what i use! with the exception of the rod at the end. i then switch input/output whenever siphoning out the sump mulm

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one do you find best for blowing off rocks? The cheap dollar store ones aren't good for anything but squirting food.
I've tried using small pumps in tank with tubing attached but I create too many frags.
I got tied of the bulb popping off, even with a zip tie sometimes. So I bought this one and it never pops off.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back