Best type of Anemone for Clownfish to host?

MRMarineMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m soon going to be starting a saltwater tank and were wondering what type of Anemone / coral would be best for clownfish to host. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
4766e50995bc74dc0e491cdc57b262cb.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on type of clowns if you want a natural match, tank size, sandbed/no sand, lighting.
Also we usually advise an established tank for anemone's, usually about 6 months minimum.

OP
OP
M

MRMarineMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on type of clowns if you want a natural match, tank size, sandbed/no sand, lighting.
Also we usually advise an established tank for anemone's, usually about 6 months minimum.

Thanks for the reply, I just want a good pair of normal ocellaris clownfish, I have just invested in a new light that has blue and normal light, and I want to have a sandbed. The tanks size is 32g.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is a carpet or LTA but what brand are you light ?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I just want a good pair of normal ocellaris clownfish, I have just invested in a new light that has blue and normal light, and I want to have a sandbed. The tanks size is 32g.

You will be hard pressed to have a natural host for ocellaris in that size tank. A Bubble Tip sometimes works, but there is no guarantee.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones that are natural host for Ocellaris clowns are not recommended for new Reefers or for tank that size. Two anemones that is OK for new Reefers to try and stay small enough are E. quadricolor (BTA bubble tipped anemone) in the picture you posted. This is one of the easiest anemone to keep. BTA stay on rock and thus a sand bed is not required. Not too demanding regarding light, water stability or a lot of water movement. Another anemone I recommended is H. malu. This anemone really does not have a common name other than Malu anemone. This anemone is also relatively easy but does need to have a sand bed. Not rare. Petco in Corpus Christ have them all the time.
Neither are natural host anemone for A. ocellaris (the common Percula clown or False Percula) but will likely work, but there is no guarantee that the clowns will choose these as hosts.
Search on requirement of the animals you buy before you buy them, especially anemones. They tend to be more demanding. Unlike corals, anemone are larger will wander or let go of their footing when not happy or sick. This will result in death of the anemone and May result in death of other animals in the tank. This is why I don’t recommend anemones for beginner.
I certainly understand and know why you want this. After all I was hooked on Anemone and clown fish 40 years and killed my first anemone in 1 week then.
Finally most LFS will not know Malu anemone. They just know them as assorted anemone or lump several species as Sebae anemone. Find an anemone expert locally to help guide you if you can.

Drew Lallathin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say wait out your tank a little until you are confident your whole setup is good to go, I used to try and rush everything and add and add and it never worked. Just wait make sure params are in check and stable and go for it

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree w/ posts above.
When your tank has matured a little bit, if it were mine I'd probably choose a Malu mainly due to size restraints w/ that tank, and being a sand dwellar easier to contain and keep from crawling on rock and corals.

Clowns will accept a non natural match, it often just takes longer to happen, while natural match's usually happens right away.

I agree the natural match choices will be too big, they would reach 2-3' in diameter.

In the meantime while you are waiting for your tank to cycle and become established I would suggest maybe frogspawn or hammer coral as a possible alternative, and read and research anemone needs, as this varies among species.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a question, what is a clowns natural host?

Each species of clown will be found in a certain species of anemone depending on the region they are found and collected in.

So for instance BTA which is most common in our hobby is not really a natural choice for ocellaris or percula, and this is why so many people wonder why their clowns do not enter BTA, or may take a long time to recognize it, but if you gave those same occs or percs something like a magnifica(which is natural to both species) they often enter it immediately.

So what species clowns you have, and what anemone you pair it with is what makes all the difference in how fast hosting happens

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Dave. Which clownfish species will determine which anemones.
In a anemone and clown fish tank, the anemone is a much harder animal to keep. The tank need to be set up for the anemone. Clown fish will be fine in almost any tank. Certainly if you can keep anemone alive you can keep clownfish alive

Vibrant Orange Zoanthids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble tips tend to be the most widely sold anemones. They host a large variety of clowns. My clownfish hosted my RBTA before it had even chosen it's first anchor spot.

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what do you mean with the "Best type of Anemone for Clownrish to host"?
Is it the chance of success that the clowfish will host that Anemone ?
Is it the most natural for the clownfish ?
Is it the best looking together with the clownfish ?

First of all, I don't think you can force the clownfish to host an Anemone. I had luck that mine did host my BTA on it's own. No force or try to manipulate it, they just did.
I also have a Gonipora that a clownfish has hosted, and also one of my Torches. They kinda do what ever they want.

BrianNRoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones that are natural host for Ocellaris clowns are not recommended for new Reefers or for tank that size. Two anemones that is OK for new Reefers to try and stay small enough are E. quadricolor (BTA bubble tipped anemone) in the picture you posted. This is one of the easiest anemone to keep. BTA stay on rock and thus a sand bed is not required. Not too demanding regarding light, water stability or a lot of water movement. Another anemone I recommended is H. malu. This anemone really does not have a common name other than Malu anemone. This anemone is also relatively easy but does need to have a sand bed. Not rare. Petco in Corpus Christ have them all the time.
Neither are natural host anemone for A. ocellaris (the common Percula clown or False Percula) but will likely work, but there is no guarantee that the clowns will choose these as hosts.
Search on requirement of the animals you buy before you buy them, especially anemones. They tend to be more demanding. Unlike corals, anemone are larger will wander or let go of their footing when not happy or sick. This will result in death of the anemone and May result in death of other animals in the tank. This is why I don’t recommend anemones for beginner.
I certainly understand and know why you want this. After all I was hooked on Anemone and clown fish 40 years and killed my first anemone in 1 week then.
Finally most LFS will not know Malu anemone. They just know them as assorted anemone or lump several species as Sebae anemone. Find an anemone expert locally to help guide you if you can.
isnt the common name for a malu anemone "SEABAE"

Iggy3245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainly not an expert in salt water tanks and fish, however have had my tank now for almost 20years. My fish come and go, and so did my anemone. To start off I have had my Ocellaris clowns now for 13 years and thye are doing great. They loved the green carpet Anemone I had for them and even (often) swam into the neck of it and dissapeared, very cute. The anemoe lasted me 12 years and just recently shrunk and died, which was very sad. Getting another for sure any day. One other thing I would like to add, (from my experience), if you are looking at adding a cheap / inexpensive fish to your tank, I HIGHLY recommend NOT,NOT getting a Domino Damsel. Worst fish ever. Killed / stressed out and killed $650 worth of fish that attempted to add to my tank. If I can catch him, hes gone. Sorry, sounds morbid, but hes done. Just saying. Hope this helps. Oh, and my clowns re the black / white striped ones, very docile.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back