Best type of pistol shrimp to pair with goby?

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange stripe prawn goby has become a bit of a scaredy cat after a new addition to the tank so she’s only coming out after the lights are out now. I read that one way to increase her confidence is to provide her with a pistol shrimp mate. Any recommendations for what specific kind of pistol/similar shrimp that would work well for a future reef tank and get along with other inhabitants, but also pair well with her?

Thanks in advance!

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red banned (Alpheus randalli) or the Tiger (Alpheus bellulus) either one should pair nicely with this goby. I have my orange prawn goby with the red banned.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck expected with a Pinkbar goby and a Red banded?

Also, I have a 108 gal tank and already have a diamond spotted goby that has been in the tank for a while. Any advice? Also, QT goby and shrimp together?

Thanks.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not qt them together because the shrimp will not live if in copper or other of the meds I use in my QT. If you did TTM you could keep them together. But keep in mine that TTM does not kill all parasites and disease. I have a separate invert/coral qt tank. I keep pistol shrimp in a breeder basket (that hooks on the side of the tank) with a small amount of sand and a small rock. I've never had a problem with them pairing back up after qt.

I like to pair the larger gobies with the larger tigger shrimp and the smaller gobies with the smaller red banned shrimp. That is just my personal preference.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From personal experience, tiger pistols are seen more, but move serious amounts of sand. It may very well bury anything you have on the sand bed.

Candy cane or red striped pistols are what I currently have. 2 in a 108 gallon with a pair of wheelers and a pink spot goby. I also have 2 hifin red band gobies but haven’t seen them in a while. I think they may be on the back side of my rock work.

The candy canes move very small amounts and stay put.

The wheelers and pink spot are always out and about, morning till lights out

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From personal experience, tiger pistols are seen more, but move serious amounts of sand. It may very well bury anything you have on the sand bed.

Candy cane or red striped pistols are what I currently have. 2 in a 108 gallon with a pair of wheelers and a pink spot goby. I also have 2 hifin red band gobies but haven’t seen them in a while. I think they may be on the back side of my rock work.

The candy canes move very small amounts and stay put.

The wheelers and pink spot are always out and about, morning till lights out
I've read that you can keep some types of sand sifting gobies together. I thought that not possible due to being similar body shapes and such... good to know someone is doing it successfully. I have a 75 gal aquarium. Would it be possible to have both a pink spot and a orange stripe prawn together in that tank? I was torn between these two when first deciding what I wanted to add.

Also, glad to hear good things about the red banded shrimp. Think I'll work on getting one this week. My little goby is still doing well, but I'm spot feeding her before the daylights turn on in the morning and sometimes after the daylights turn off in the evening to make sure she's getting the food she needs. I really hope she builds back her confidence to be out all day as she had been previous to this past week.

Ktran350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a yellow watchman and tiger pistol a few days ago. They paired up within a few hours and have been doing their thing since. I do have to spot feed them. The tiger pistol shrimp do move a lot of sand and is constantly digging.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back