Best UV Sterilizer

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a AQ UV 40 on my 180 and it helped water clarity and increases ORP. That's about it. To control things like ich you need a very slow flow rate. My 40 was fed about 100gph. It will kill free swimming things in the water but flow is much too slow to do any real good I found. I liked the water clarity and ORP increase but not worth it for me, plus I kept getting precipitation on the tube this it would stop working until I took it apart to clean.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a jabeo 55 watt for 100 shipped and replacement bulbs are only 15. UV will abosolutly not work for ick but great for algae control and good for bacteria. The uv at 6 months old for that brand is a good deal also but replacement bulbs are a lot more

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only two I would consider is Emperor Aquatics or AquaUV.
AquaUV is what I chose for better parts availability since they are here in the USA.
Emperor has since been bought by Pentair so parts availability may be better now.
As far as wattage, you need to go by the manufacturer recommendation. AquaUV is very good at spelling this out for you and distinguishing between fish only and reef tanks.
but the emperor is so huge! I hate having to put equipment outside of my sump and DT

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the emperor is so huge! I hate having to put equipment outside of my sump and DT
What about the AquaUV? That's the brand I buy and had the 25w under my stand.
i-CvvT6wr.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 173 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back