Best Veggy Flake Food For Herbivores and Tangs

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking for a flake food for Herbivores and Tangs. I am particularly interested in foods where the first ingredients are plant / algae based, with minimal wheat / soy / preservative filler (I do understand some is needed). I am finding that almost all flake and pellet foods include wheat and some form of animal protein.

I feed frozen 3-4 times per week, but rely on the auto feeder to deliver 3 additional servings / day, feeding the fish and in turn maintaining nutrients in the system for a tank stocked heavy with SPS coral. I choose flakes over pellets, given that my feeding ring and flow in the tank tend to distribute this type of food, throughout the system better.

I am currently using PE Mysis Flakes (which I am very happy with, but is mainly animal protein) Omega One Veggie Kelp flakes, which I like for how it distributes itself throughout the system and Ocean Nutrition, Formula One Flakes, which tend to clump up.

Please share your opinions here about what flake food you find best for tangs, foxface, rabbit fish etc

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a refugium you can grow Ulva / sea lettuce in it and feed your fish. Doesn’t die or waste away in tank it continues to live until eaten. For dry foods hikari seaweed extreme is 2/3 nori and you can use in auto feeder.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He said flake food for his feeder... You are not putting live algae or nori in a autofeeder.

I have used Ocean Nutrition spirulina flakes and also OSI..

My favorite is
Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Pellets for Herbivorous and Omnivorous fish.

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a flake food for Herbivores and Tangs. I am particularly interested in foods where the first ingredients are plant / algae based, with minimal wheat / soy / preservative filler (I do understand some is needed). I am finding that almost all flake and pellet foods include wheat and some form of animal protein.

I feed frozen 3-4 times per week, but rely on the auto feeder to deliver 3 additional servings / day, feeding the fish and in turn maintaining nutrients in the system for a tank stocked heavy with SPS coral. I choose flakes over pellets, given that my feeding ring and flow in the tank tend to distribute this type of food, throughout the system better.

I am currently using PE Mysis Flakes (which I am very happy with, but is mainly animal protein) Omega One Veggie Kelp flakes, which I like for how it distributes itself throughout the system and Ocean Nutrition, Formula One Flakes, which tend to clump up.

Please share your opinions here about what flake food you find best for tangs, foxface, rabbit fish etc
Omega One, kelp flakes

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search for nori sheets for sushi on Amazon.

50 sheets, $10, my tangs love it.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said flake food for his feeder... You are not putting live algae or nori in a autofeeder.

I have used Ocean Nutrition spirulina flakes and also OSI..

My favorite is
Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Pellets for Herbivorous and Omnivorous fish.
If you put a bunch of sea lettuce / ulva in the tank it will last several days to week so you don’t need a feeder.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OSI Spirulina, Omega one Kelp Flakes, Ocean Nutrition Spirulina, Ocean Nutrition Formula two pellets are all worth researching.

Thanks for the suggestions, but no nori or live algae for this feeding system. (I already feed both, when I am around) This is a dry fish food feeder that needs to maintain throughput and fish health while I am away for several days to a week, so flakes first and then pellet suggestions please.

With that said, it would be awesome if there was an auto feeder for Nori and other types of dried seaweed.

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently using Rod’s seaweed variety pack of sheets. Once that’s gone I’m gonna give Two Little Fishes Mixed Sea Veggies a try. It only contains seaweed and looks like it’d be okay in a feeder.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mix of ocean nutrition formula one & two pellets in one auto feeder and mix of ocean nutrition prime reef and formula two flakes in another auto feeder. But I too feel like this isn’t enough plant matter for my tangs when I’m on vacation. So I usually throw a bunch of cheato In the display, which is far from an ideal solution.

OP
OP
mattdg

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I settled on Sera Marine Flakes. This food has the most natural list of ingredients I have yet to see in any flake food with no dyes or preservatives.

I have been extremely impressed with this food. The fish love it and have become more colorful, the coral looks better since feeding it and it works great in the Hanna feeder.

The only down side so far is how expensive it is. $18 for 2.1oz, though I have been feeding less given the fact the food is so nutritious.

Here's the list of ingredients in the GVG-Mix

Fish meal, wheat flour, krill (12%) brewers yeast, Ca-caseinate, gammarus, bloodworms (2.7%), daphnia (2.7%) spirulina, sea algae, mannan oligosaccharides, cod liver oil (containing 34% omega fatty acids) herbs, alfalfa, stinging nettle, haematococcus algae, parsley, green lipped mussel, paprika, spinach, carrots, garlic

Crude Protein 44.9%
Crude Fat 6%
Crude Fiber 5.7%
Moisture 6%
Crude Ash 13.1%

When I compare this list of ingredients to almost any other flake food, I find that half of what is listed are chemicals and preservatives and very little in the way of actual seafood. Hoping this flake food is making for some extremely healthy fish poop, to feed my coral.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back