Best water circulation in nano.

nerdwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 2 Tunze turbelle nanostream 6105's for my QT.

I have a Tunze Silenze return pump and a 6025 Nanostream on my 57G, and they are both running strong after almost 3 years. The Nano is fairly noisy, probably more due to its age than quality. I also found it necessary to aim it at a pile of rocks because I'm pretty sure the concentrated jet stream it puts out would de-fin anything that got in front of it. :D

Last edited:

nerdwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He meant 6015s, not 6105s, btw. A 6105 for $40 would definitely have "fallen off the back of a truck" and be paid for in cash.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If PM-10s sell high and IF they are the most resold pump I'd think it means they out last some reef tank keepers ability to stay with the hobby, and take a licking and keep on ticking! ;)

Try and pry mine "out of my cold dead hand"s.

To get a little more flow in you nano is there some way to point or direct the return a way that causes more circulation? Sometimes only a degree or two can make a world of difference.

Last edited:

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't be trying too hard to sell them - a search of recently completed auctions on ebay shows a year-old mp10es sold for $185 plus shipping. A 3-month old mp10wes went for $245 + shipping. They sell new for $227 & $277 at Amazon, meaning the es held 81% of its retail value after 1 year, while the wes held 88% after 3 months. Pretty good for a product nobody likes. :D

Well i meant if. Search r2r.and i didnt mean they are junk. But the ne guy said. Dont carr about ur tank if ubdont own one and im saying they arent THAT good. I loved my mp10 on my 40 just not my mp40s on my 180. For the money they just didnt provide the flow i was lookin for. I think those pumps are meant for shorter tanks. Most i see online with mp40s in a tank my size they are using 3 or 4 u Can do the same job with 2 6105s.and no they dont come up for sale everyday but u will see more for sale threads for vortechs than tunzes. And tunzes keep the same type of resale value as vortechs.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very pleased with both my MP10's. I have no complaints.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

nerdwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i meant if. Search r2r.and i didnt mean they are junk. But the ne guy said. Dont carr about ur tank if ubdont own one and im saying they arent THAT good.

Yep, but I'm pretty sure that guy was making a sarcastic comment, and I don't think the OP was even considering spending vortech money in the first place. But I like mp10 and you did imply (or directly stated maybe? can't remember) that the majority of vortech owners are dissatisfied. It's cool though, I'm not saying you're wrong about Tunze being good, maybe better than EcoTech. I'm just giving my own perspective on the subject because for once I have some experience to share around here. ;)

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naw i certainly didnt mean most are. Most of the resales seem to come from mp40s and people with 120+ tanks. I had mp40s because i loved my mp10 but i was severly dissatisfied with the flow they gave me on my 180. It blew.lots of water but only like 2' and it wasnt very random no matter the settings or placement and i tried everything before i sold mine. Im happier now runnin 4 1400gph powerheads and saved a ton of cash haha

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With powerheads, you have multiple options. There are other good pumps out there, sure. I look at it this way way though with 9 gallons to play with, I'd rather have a single pump that gives a broader water flow and goes outside the tank opposed to a small football taking up space on the inside of the tank. The mp10 is controllable, If you want to turn it all the way down and put it in a 3 gallon pico then you can. If you want to replace that 3g pico with a 40 gallon breeder you can do that and keep using the mp10.

Next you have dependability. Sure the Mp10 is the most resold pump. Most other pumps get thrown away. Out of 5 korilias I've thrown 4 away. Either fallen apart or magnets swell up. The one that I still have put's out less than 30% of it's original output. You can go with better pumps than korilia such as the Tunze pumps and sure they are good pumps but just like any good pump, they will cost money. Maybe the question is, do you you want your pump on the inside of the tank or on the outside?

Would the mp10 blow coral off rocks in a 9 gallon tank? No. Would it be way to much flow for a 9 gallon tank, no. The mp10 is rated for tanks 2.5g to 50g. There is also the option of not having a pump at all, you can easily get by with an Aquaclear 70 filter and have enough flow in a 9 gallon tank.

IF you really want proper opinions about a 9 gallon tank then asking people with 180 gallon tanks may not be the best idea. Try nano-reef.com

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference, I have a 7.5 gallon cube with a koralia nano 245gph in it, and it is too much. I've thought about not running one at all.

nerdwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you really want proper opinions about a 9 gallon tank then asking people with 180 gallon tanks may not be the best idea. Try nano-reef.com

Or you could not respond to the topic if you feel it's beneath you, right?

Just for reference, I have a 7.5 gallon cube with a koralia nano 245gph in it, and it is too much. I've thought about not running one at all.

Is that an aio? I had one of those in my 14 and it was about right for that, but in my 8 gallon biocube I upgraded the return pump to a minijet 606, which has adjustible flow (basically a damper on the intake) and that was all it needed.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 10g For a year and still have a 20g. And im also sure i said many times i loved my mp10.

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is that an aio? I had one of those in my 14 and it was about right for that, but in my 8 gallon biocube I upgraded the return pump to a minijet 606, which has adjustible flow (basically a damper on the intake) and that was all it needed.

No, its a Mr. Aqua 12x12x12 cube. I only have a hob on it.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im.sure we got iff topic about 10 pages ago too my bad hahaha.

Umm yea a mp10 would be a good pump for a nano for all the reason stated above. Low profile and controllabilty make it excellent choice.

But if u dont want to spend $250 then tunze Dowtish linked would be great option as well.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can't help but feel you were wearing your inflatable He-Man muscles when you said that. I can't disagree more. This is a forum and your opinions are just as welcome as anyone else's.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back