Best water temperature?

What is the optimal water temperature range for a reef tank?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running 78.4 for years.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new heater controller coming today, this thread is very relevant

my existing heater (three months old) is keeping the tank between 77-81, even though I’ve lowered it to 72. I think built in thermostats are less accurate in a high flow sump, or I have a bad unit.

Humble_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that 78 degrees the sweet spot. High enough optimal biological filtration and long term fish health, and low enough for optimal zooxanthella photosynthesis in corals.

I am curious about the outliers here, and their reasons for going above or below that 77-79 range...

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 200W heaters for my 125 gallon mixed reef. I have my Apex set for 77 degrees. Temp only varies up or down by .15 degrees

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run mine from 78-80. I prefer around 78 as that seems to fall within the range for a variety of reef critters.

OP
OP
P

plopezmd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to all who posted and/or voted. The reason that I am asking this question is two fold:

1. I have read many articles that state the best temperature range for corals, in general, is 77F-78F. I realize that different types and species of corals have different requirements. But then I wonder if having such a tight range will not be perceived as "natural" by the organisms. By this I mean that there are temperature fluctuations in the sea, and these fluctuations vary from day to day/week/month, etc., which correspond to the changes of the seasons and the atmosphere. It is true that all living beings are stimulated by changes in their environments, and these stimuli promote growth and adaptation (to a certain extent), which in turn, increases their capacity to thrive in such environments.

2. This is more of a technical issue with the equipment. With my tank (40g reef), and the average household temperature (75F), I have to program my heater unit to 80F (which is in the sump) in order to achieve an average temperature of 77.6F in the DT. My average range is 77.4F-77.8F (lights off-lights on). I wonder how productive is the investment in trying to achieve a very tight temperature ranges is over time.

I propose and genuinely ask these questions because I am not very experienced with corals. So please be kind towards my ignorance and lack of knowledge.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex is set to turn my heater on at 77.9 and off at 78.6
40 breeder with eheim jager 200watt heater set to 82F to 84F.
Live in Wisconsin really cold winters, house is at 68F most of the year.

I've been wondering the same questions as you have.
Following along.

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I just let the tank fluctuate by what my area is doing I find that works best for me

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex is set to turn on at 77.5 and off at 78.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are studies that show the best coral growth at around 80F. I run no heaters or chillers and my tank ranges between 78 and 81 without issues. If your inhabitants are used that type of swing, then there is no issue.

OP
OP
P

plopezmd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a new tank setup ~2 weeks old. My intention is to prepare the tank for when I do begin placing corals in it, the micro environment will already be accustomed to the temperature range. Having said this, I am trying to figure out if I should "intentionally" force a particular environment, or just "let nature figure it out". From the poll, the most common range is 77F-79F. I think that this would provide enough of a change in temperature to stimulate the various lifeforms within the tank. I am not sure how much of an impact a 2F swing would make.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back