Best water testing kits

JTittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I currently have the API testing kits, and I am not happy with them. What brand is the best in your opinion and where do I purchase them for a reasonable price. I have looked at the Hanna ones but they are a bit expensive in my opinion. Thanks!

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with the above stated Salifert they give you good consistent readings and a reasonably priced of course if you got the dough it's always good to go with the Hanna checkers for the big three calcium alkalinity and magnesium other than that anything that I don't use from Salifert are red sea I like their products and you can get an entire line of dosing products for colors and everything

Osteoclast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna is the best for Alkalinity and well worth it if you are in for the long haul. I like the Red Sea kits for Ca and Mg and have used them for years--just keep a check on the reagent expiration dates. I would recommend an excellent refractometer as well like one of the Milwaukee units. They last for years. It is important to calibrate the refractometer though using a standard 35ppt reagent. I calibrate often and it will save you headaches later. Good luck, salt water tanks are enjoyable and I have been addicted myself for a few decades!

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If got the money Hanna checkers cause the long run they pay off since all u have to do is get the reagent same with Red Sea there are refill kits if toss up between salifert and Red Sea I chose Red Sea u get a nicer kit that last longer, the triton measuring thing is so awsome and u get refills on reagent

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only check a few things.

- Alk- I would have said Hanna a week ago, but they are having major problems. I will never trust it again. Salifert moving forward with RedSea as backup.
- Ca- RedSea
- No3- RedSea

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea, but salifert as a back up. I have a Hanna checker for phosphate though

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk: Hanna
Phosphate: Hanna (Phosphorus ULR)
Calcium: Hanna
Magnesium: Red Sea pro
Nitrates: Red Sea pro
Amonia: Seneye probe.

I just wish hanna would make Mag and Nitrates kits. Getting an actual number instead of relying on your eyes to identify between difgerent shades of blue is infinitely better!

You just need to have precise and consistent way of performing the tests (namely the calcium one) and you will get accurate results every time!

kaoscoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea makes a convenient Alk, Ca, Mag kit that have similar testing procedures using the titration tool, and everything fits in an included plastic box (that I wish was about 1/2" taller). Highly recommended.

The worst kits are the ones that make you compare your test sample to a strip of colors, like API and SeaChem kits do. Too inaccurate for my tastes.

Hanna Alk checker is the Cadillac of testers. I wish all testers were this easy. (watch out for a bad batch of reagents, though, which is unfortunate.)

Hanna's Calcium tester is my least favorite tester. I can't get consistent results with it and regret the purchase.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Hanna for PO4 and Red Sea for every thing else. And if you really want to know how your water is try Triton Labs.

OP
OP
JTittle

JTittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to go with Red Sea for now and then when Hanna gets their issue figured out start converting to them. Where's the best place to buy Red Sea?

renwah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your around Nashville-aquatic critter. Madison-emerald bay. And online-bulk reef supply, amazon, drs. Foster and smith, and many more. Google helps

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just paid the money for the Triton Lab test and am really happy I did. I think I will start doing this once a year.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 148 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back