Best Wavemaker positions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fury96
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fury96

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2025
Messages
89
Reaction score
51
Location
Melbourne Australia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers, having some issues with a build up of fish poop in the corner of my tank. I am not sure what the perfect postion for my wavemakers would be.
 

Attachments

  • 20260408_182823.mp4
    51.6 MB
I try to get multiple wave makers aimed in different directions and also hitting each other's flow to really randomize the flow in the tank. However, I end up with dead spots because I also have low flow corals on the sand bed and I try not to blast them.

More wavemakers/powerheads spread out helps. Also, more random flow seems to create a little extra turbulence in the tank and allows water to move around more so less stuff can settle.

Another good practice is to blast the rocks and any dead spots with a turkey baster to keep things more suspended so they can be filtered out easier.
 
having poop collecting in a corner is the second best case scenario as at least its in a place that its easily removed. If you want to tinker the ideal set up is powerhead placement that keeps debris in suspension allowing the overflow to eventually get it.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new