Best Way To Euthanize Fish

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Harlequin Tuskfish that, for whatever reason, went blind. He will not eat no matter what I try. He swims around looking for food but can never lock onto it. I've tried everything, every medication and nothing helps.

I REALLY don't want to kill him but I think it's more humane than letting the poor guy starve to death.

So what is the quickest, most pain free way to euthanize a fish?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding him directly with tongs....I hate to see anything b put down....

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks no matter what you do. They are our pets and it's strange isn't it that humans don't generally view or regard fish as having the same senses and "feelings" our furry friends do. Now I'm not saying my Cats or dog aren't higher functioning but it strikes me as ironic that just because we can't pet them or cuddle with them it's any less traumatic. I know for a fact that a few of my fish that I've had for years 6plus have definite individual personalities and are part of my clan. I have always used the freezer method as well. It just makes me feel better in that moment so maybe I am the selfish one? I disagree with fast who say... "it's just a fish dude, I worked at a supply Co. And had to do it all the time". Numbness to it probably happens but outright disregard for the life... not down with that

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding him directly with tongs....I hate to see anything b put down....

I already tried that for a week. And they were the curved tongs so the food would appear away from the tongs, or not as close to a foreign object. He just let me rub the food on his face and didn't want anything to do with it.

How do you think I feel? This was my first and most favorite fish. I tried everything I can think of and cannot get him to eat. He sits in his spot all day and comes swimming around when there's food in the tank but when he can't find it he goes right back to that same spot. I even have him in a small 12 gallon tank to make it easier for him to get food. Nothing.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very sad for you and fish
Maybe @Paul B with is experience could help to save the fish,he is also near you

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back