best way to lower Nitrate?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon reef with nitrates at 180. I fell off the water changing wagon but am back on it. The tank is NOT having issues *yet* but I know this is not good. blue tang, yellow tang, angels wrasses all fine. 3 shrimps great, sand sifting star great, 2 conchs thriving, the *only* death was a sea urchin who was 6 years old? BTA's taking over tank, leather coral has suffered and kenya trees are disappearing - possibly b/c the BTA's are taking over.

I decided to change 30 gallons of water every other day as to not shock my tank... after 90 gallons of this... my nitrates are still super high, 150 maybe still 180? When so red it is hard to tell. My ph was to high and alkalinityto low both are now moving in the right direction. Calcium is just under 500.

I *think* I am a heavy feeder. Each Week I try to feed 2 live clams once a day, 4x a week 4 cubes , 2x a week they get pellets. sea weed algae strips daily. live black worms when I can source them.

I now think water changes will not fix this issue? Where are some good articles / threads on HOW to dose nopox? other suggestions?

I am trying to improve my tank to add a red sea star and a few more fish, mandarin, sand sifting goby, foxface. I don't want to add them to this environment....

Thank you!

180tank.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 gallon tank got up to 50 ppm nitrates and was rising. So I started vinegar dosing (with saturated calcium hydroxide). My nitrates are down to 30 ish rang so I will probably hold there. You can actually get there with water changes, but with a 180 gallon tank that’s a lot of water.

If I had your tank, I would test phosphates to make sure you have some. Then possibly start dosing a carbon source. I would also get a Hanna HR nitrate tester so you can truly monitor progress. You might want to make sure your skimmer is adequate and investigate other nutrient reduction methods.

There are lots of threads on how to carbon dose. I would read a few.
how to carbon dose nitrate reduction reef site:www.reef2reef.com

ripcord

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a sulphur denitrator, just drop it slowly afterwards!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back