Best way to make grow and solid identification

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this on a trade. I think it's chalice but not sure. Need help identifying and what it needs to grow.

I have it about half way down. Prob getting about 100 UV/Blue par for 5 hours. Feed it reef roids.
If it's a chalice I read somewhere that putting them on a slope helps them spread. This really has not taken off in my tank. Had it about 5 months. It and Zoas are horrible to grow, except those red ones. I have others that just won't budge.

Any ideas? All tank params are within normal. PH 8. Mag about 1700 but don't know how to get it down. It stays up there. Calcium around 410. Alk/HK 8.5

Coral.jpg

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a duncan coral, a non-branching one at that. Mine seem to enjoy medium light and low to medium flow. They definitely grow way more slowly for me than my branching duncans.

It is open and looks happy, keep doing what you are doing!

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I looked into this a bit further. It is probably not a duncan like I thought originally. I bought mine as part of a private sale and the seller called it a duncan, and right next to a normal duncan, they polyps are near identical. BUT, apparently there is only one species of duncan (anecdotally the Duncanopsammia Axifuga), at least that we see in the hobby.

However, the Pagoda Cup coral (Turbina Peltata) has a similar growth and polyps to what you have here, and what I have which was likely mis-identified (which happens quite often).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back