Best way to remove Anemone

  • Thread starter Thread starter Carz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Carz

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2018
Messages
548
Reaction score
403
Location
Oakdale, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started off with one BTA and now I have about 17. I need to thin the crowd without removing the rock. I am sure I can just pluck them off with tweezers, but that will most likely end up with them dying.
 
So I started off with one BTA and now I have about 17. I need to thin the crowd without removing the rock. I am sure I can just pluck them off with tweezers, but that will most likely end up with them dying.
I use a credit card and pick around the bottom of their foot. You should be able to pick a corner up and slide the card under its foot. That’s how I get mine out.
 
Blast them with a powerhead. They’ll either fall off or move to a spot where they can be easily removed.
 
I've had good luck with a variation of ThePurple12's answer above. I use a power head with a hose attached to the output and use the hose to direct the flow at their foot and use the flow to 'peel' up their foot. It can take a while for each one (I'm manually directing the flow the whole time, I was averaging about 30-45 minutes per anemone with my last removal effort), but I had good luck doing this to remove several from my tank. This method works well, even when they're really into craggy areas of the rock (as mine were). I have found it helps in some instances to pull out the rock and do the work in a tub of water, being able to move the rock around helps direct the flow at the foot.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new