Best way to remove (frag proffered) Pandora’s in the tank?

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Zoa freaks. So my Pandoras are doing what Pandoras do and taking over the place. I cannot remove the rock without jeopardizing lots of coral. I wanting to know what are your methods for in tank surgery to take back some real-estate (not completely removing them) while in the tank? They just are starting to over grow other Zoas. Bonus if I am able to save and plug up the Zoas. I know all about the PPE and to run carbon, just want to know what tools and techniques you’ve had success with. Thanks in advance!!!
48B7E593-4736-451B-880A-9BDF4C50112C.jpeg
496906A1-DC04-4419-B90E-501CBD218605.jpeg 6B273506-67C3-45A1-AB42-CC30ED7C1AF7.jpeg

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the best result in tank has been tweezers. Just Pull. Not from the polyp itself but the mat in between. Comes off as big mat. Then I cut them individually and glue them to frags I give away.

OP
OP
Coral Winslow

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the best result in tank has been tweezers. Just Pull. Not from the polyp itself but the mat in between. Comes off as big mat. Then I cut them individually and glue them to frags I give away.
Awesome, this is what I want to know. I have a bunch of dental tools from eBay and I was going to go under each foot and try, but if you’re saying you think they will come up in mats, that’s all the better. Thanks!

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, this is what I want to know. I have a bunch of dental tools from eBay and I was going to go under each foot and try, but if you’re saying you think they will come up in mats, that’s all the better. Thanks!
Yes. First time I ruined many polyps. But I've gotten better and now it pulls of the rock intact for the most part. Just make sure you don't pull from the polyp itself, that's worked out well for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back