Best Way to Remove Nerite from Shell?

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2023
Messages
52
Reaction score
10
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nerite snail just passed away. Lived a good life of algae snacking. Had a pretty shell.

Wanted to know the best method of removing the snail from its shell for disposal. I'd like to place the shell back into the tank for hermits. Is there a way that doesn't involve gradually letting it rot out in its own container?
 
Nerite snail just passed away. Lived a good life of algae snacking. Had a pretty shell.

Wanted to know the best method of removing the snail from its shell for disposal. I'd like to place the shell back into the tank for hermits. Is there a way that doesn't involve gradually letting it rot out in its own container?

That's how I've always done that - smelly though!

Jay
 
heck usually the contents become smelly slime within 24hrs…
TBH I wouldn’t give it any further worry
PS add: I actually collected the “empties” from my CUC over 2yrs … sorta sad but some snails don’t live long especially with hermits present ;) :anguished-face:
 
Put it on an Ant Hill. That’s the way we did it when we were kids and would pick up Sea Shells that were still alive. Didn’t know any better.
 
Update for anybody curious. Waited about 3-4 days before dealing with it, and surprisingly there was no smell at all. I had it in its own water-filled plastic cup but I guess there wasn't a lot of rotting going on. Snail was certainly dead as a doornail though.

Turns out all I had to do was run hot water over the shell in such a way that it pushed the snail up towards the lip. Then I just pulled it out with a pair of tweezers. Nerites are small so it may not work as well with larger snails, but this ended up being really simple. Maybe this will help someone else out.

Pic of empty shell. Small but pretty.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9732.jpg
    IMG_9732.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 112

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new