Best & Worst "Reef Safe" Angelfish for Your Reef

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 247 42.3%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 53 9.1%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 247 42.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 3.8%

• Total voters

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Lamarck's angelfish... He's doubled in size if not tripled since I got him. He's almost as big as my tangs. He's annoying in that he has the hots for my copperband butterflyfish. Constantly tries to bite the CBBs spikey fins and will chase the CBB when it's eating. It's a strange relationship.. But, I'm aware of it eating any corals.

I have a male and female swallowtail angelfish pair that are doing awesome... They don't seem to pair up but they leave each other alone... No eating of anything mysterious. They love my home made fish food and occasionally eat nori.

I have a bellas angelfish that is the little fish that could. Small for a medium to large sized angel fish. Have had her for 2 years and she hasn't grown much. She ran into something, had 1 eye pop out for a good 3 months and is fully healed now and doing great. No coral eating that I'm aware of.

I have 4 what are supposed to be reef safe angelfish, I'm hoping it stays that way. If they weren't so dang expensive I'd have more....

Is there a limit to the number of swallowtails or Bellus angels one can have. From what I've seen they seem to do o.k. with con specifics? I'd love to have a few more since they are nice open swimmers and actually have some color to them.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best Angel I kept that didn't pick on any coral (sps, lps, zoas, polys) was an asfur. I had a flame that pecked on acros, no real damage. Also had an emperator that also pecked on sps, no real damage as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back