Best wrasse to get for eating tiny black worms?

ihateSpirorbids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these tiny black worms that are starting to infest my tank. From other threads, it looks like some kind of polychaetae worm.

However, none of these threads was able to identify precisely what it is:

But they are for sure NOT flatworms judging from the pics.

Everyone says a wrasse will eat "worms", but a lot of threads actually mean flatworms since flatworms are a common pest in the reef aquarium. So I'm a little unsure if a wrasse is the best solution for this. However, I'm willing to try and if anyone has good experiences with wrasses with these types of worms, please share your experiences. If I need a wrasse, which would be best and also budget friendly? It would have to be a peaceful wrasse since I have a very small goby, a hermit crab, and a few bumble bee snails. My tank is 29 gallons.

Some possible ones I researched:

• Six lined wrasse - BUT they are aggressive. Not sure if my goby will survive.
  • Pink Streaked wrasse - leaning towards this one. They are relatively peaceful
  • Leopard Wrasse - too difficult, expert only
  • Melanurus Wrasse - too aggressive
  • Yellow coris wrasse - will grow too large for 29G
  • Cleaner wrasse - too difficult in terms of feeding in the long term.

From the list above, the best one seems to be the pink streak wrasse. However does anyone know if they will ferociously eat these types of worms? They seem super finiky with the types of worms they eat from various threads I've read.

Six line wrasse would probably be a good bet, but they get too aggressive and I am afraid it will kill my goby and potentially any other fish I add in the future to the 29G.

Any advice appreciated!!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Here is a site that has some pics but don’t know if it will help. I can’t remember the site, but I was reading about what to put in my Frag tanks and they said six-lined and tang. See a lot of issues with the six-lined but some reading has made me think that they might get meaner with age. Also some aggressive types are more aggressive to new introductions than established fish as they haven’t established their territory prior to like the goby.
But I would say it is still a gamble.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these tiny black worms that are starting to infest my tank. From other threads, it looks like some kind of polychaetae worm.

However, none of these threads was able to identify precisely what it is:

But they are for sure NOT flatworms judging from the pics.

Everyone says a wrasse will eat "worms", but a lot of threads actually mean flatworms since flatworms are a common pest in the reef aquarium. So I'm a little unsure if a wrasse is the best solution for this. However, I'm willing to try and if anyone has good experiences with wrasses with these types of worms, please share your experiences. If I need a wrasse, which would be best and also budget friendly? It would have to be a peaceful wrasse since I have a very small goby, a hermit crab, and a few bumble bee snails. My tank is 29 gallons.

Some possible ones I researched:

• Six lined wrasse - BUT they are aggressive. Not sure if my goby will survive.
  • Pink Streaked wrasse - leaning towards this one. They are relatively peaceful
  • Leopard Wrasse - too difficult, expert only
  • Melanurus Wrasse - too aggressive
  • Yellow coris wrasse - will grow too large for 29G
  • Cleaner wrasse - too difficult in terms of feeding in the long term.

From the list above, the best one seems to be the pink streak wrasse. However does anyone know if they will ferociously eat these types of worms? They seem super finiky with the types of worms they eat from various threads I've read.

Six line wrasse would probably be a good bet, but they get too aggressive and I am afraid it will kill my goby and potentially any other fish I add in the future to the 29G.

Any advice appreciated!!
In a 29 you’re limited to really only the Pink Streak. Which does help however they aren’t going to get the larger worms. They generally go for the smaller pests which will be younger.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a yellow candy hogfish might work. It's similar to a wrasse and I just added one to my tank and he is hunting like crazy.

Maxcito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look in to a blue star leopard wrasse I got one for my polyclad problem and I have no regrets, sweet personality. She eats everything! Ate the first day. frozen, pellets and hunts all day.

Maxcito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look in to a blue star leopard wrasse I got one for my polyclad problem and I have no regrets, sweet personality. She eats everything! Ate the first day. frozen, pellets and hunts all day.
Oh a 29 gallon….. crap, might have to rent a wrasse from a friend. Pink streaks are hard to find I wanted one for my old nano

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back