Small black hair like worms

seanrsolutions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Here's the question...
I woke up this morning and noticed that I have thousands of black small worms. They look hair like and don't appear to be bristleworms. I took a bag of the to my LFS and they don't have any idea what they are. They are about 1/8 of an inch long or smaller. They are very skinny and fine like a peice of hair. No thicker. No legs... and move very slowly. All of them are black. At first, I thought they were debri until I saw them moving. They are not fish poop.

Here is some stats and history on my tank:
Tank has been cycled about 2 months. It's a new tank. Started with all base rock and seeded with a small 2lb live rock. I have a 100 gallon tank. Approx. 100Lbs of live rock. 80 - 100Lbs of live sand. 3 Chromis, 1 Diamond Goby, 1 Horse Shoe crab, 2 turbo snails and about 7 hermit crabs. Seen lots of Copepods in my tank. Have man grove and mermaid fan plant. We had a bloom of diatom algae and then recently had Cyanobacteria which we treated about 2 days ago. All my stats in the tank are good, 0 ammonia, 0 NitrItes, and about 5ppm NitrAtes.

Hope this give enough info. I include pictures. I really want to know what these are, are they harmful and if they are how do I get rid of them. I will try to upload better pictures later.

Thank you for your assistance!
CAM00016.jpg
CAM00015.jpg
CAM00014.jpg

Shadowsfold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not positive it's the right answer or if they'd survive in saltwater, but I've had drain fly larvae show up in my freshwater tank before, and they look a lot like that.

hsong333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem and it’s all over the sand and rock. Did you find any method to control these hair-like worm?

Thank you in advance

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hsong333

Welcome to R2R! Can you share some pictures of your case? If you can get a pic of your worms with your white lights instead of blues even better! This thread is from 2013 and I see the previous posters haven't been around for quite some time. I don't know what these worms are, but maybe we can slide this to the hitchhiker & critter ID section.

P.S. Pictures help. I think I mentioned that :). Best chance of IDing your specific critter.

#mods can we slide this thread over to the hitchhiker & critter ID section?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hsong333

Welcome to R2R! Can you share some pictures of your case? If you can get a pic of your worms with your white lights instead of blues even better! This thread is from 2013 and I see the previous posters haven't been around for quite some time. I don't know what these worms are, but maybe we can slide this to the hitchhiker & critter ID section.

P.S. Pictures help. I think I mentioned that :). Best chance of IDing your specific critter.

#mods can we slide this thread over to the hitchhiker & critter ID section?
It would likely be better for @hsong333 to start a thread in the ID forum with a picture of the creature in question:)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back