Better powerhead placement?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get more flow in my tank and my mp40 , return line and another tunze pump doesn’t seem to cut it and I get spots that clearly aren’t getting much flow and was wondering if you guys could help me figure out a better placement for my pumps!
I plan on adding another mp40 in my tank in a few weeks but still can make stuff work for now..

The first picture is a front on picture whilst the second is a side view. I am thinking about doing some rock movement and going from there.. which might create its own problems!
Thank you!

4F943C00-DD29-4BC5-A51E-F8F437575E33.jpeg FA0672A7-0CC5-487D-BB6E-F9671659A151.jpeg

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower the Tunze and towards the front of the tank. I would angle it up to minimize sand movement being lower may create. Also if you can point out the low flow areas of the tank that would be helpful also.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower the Tunze and towards the front of the tank. I would angle it up to minimize sand movement being lower may create. Also if you can point out the low flow areas of the tank that would be helpful also.
That’s funny.. I was planning on putting the new mp40 either on the bottom left where you suggested the tunze or even on the back wall..

I have just moved the tunze and it seems I have a lot more stuff swirling around my tank which is good.. we’ll see if that will make a difference..

The picture I’m attaching is where I felt I was getting no flow zones as algae piles up there.. I have a large cuc coming this week and figured I’d mess around with my tank before they got here..

I do seem to have annoyed my Duncan with the new placement.. we’ll see how he does..

I also was wondering if there was some sort of trick to avoid losing sand in the corners of my tanks.. it seems that’s also something that happens as the flow goes.. the opposite corners always seem to end up nearly bare bottom.

Attachments

• 2B606E0B-4331-4895-9D69-CE313E665ACA.jpeg
    2B606E0B-4331-4895-9D69-CE313E665ACA.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 30

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny.. I was planning on putting the new mp40 either on the bottom left where you suggested the tunze or even on the back wall..

I have just moved the tunze and it seems I have a lot more stuff swirling around my tank which is good.. we’ll see if that will make a difference..

The picture I’m attaching is where I felt I was getting no flow zones as algae piles up there.. I have a large cuc coming this week and figured I’d mess around with my tank before they got here..

I do seem to have annoyed my Duncan with the new placement.. we’ll see how he does..

I also was wondering if there was some sort of trick to avoid losing sand in the corners of my tanks.. it seems that’s also something that happens as the flow goes.. the opposite corners always seem to end up nearly bare bottom.
The best way I have found to keep the sand in place is reduce flow or use a larger particle sand. I have seen people mix find sand with larger sand or just put larger sand in the areas that get blown around too much.

Back