Better to just buy than try to build? If so, from whom?

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been putting off trying to replace my crappy wall mounted canopy. That horror story is on a different thread. In chatting with my Mom this morning, she asked "how much would it be to just buy one?" "I dunno, probably a couple hundred bucks." "Well, is it worth it? You're already stressed out about it and you've been putting it off for months. Might be worth coughing up the money to get it done right. Then you won't have to worry about it."

Okay, she's got good points. That why, even though she knows squat about aquariums, my Mom is flush with common sense. So do you guys know of anybody who either sells hanging canopies- this thing is going to hang from my ceiling and it going to have to be able to be raised and lowered- or can build one to specs without bankrupting me? I've only got one small LFS locally and they do great tank servicing but don't really have any contacts for building stuff. I wouldn't at all mind getting some quotes on buying one. With an extra set of hands, I could likely hang it myself if they can ship it either to my door or to a nearby location. Got any ideas? Thanks! And happy rest-of-your Thanksgiving! Don't spend all your Christmas money on Black Friday corals! ;Joyful

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the construction industry, but that doesn't mean I can install Windows or tile for my home. So yea, I need to pay someone at times, to do what I can't. See if you can find a good carpenter, get quotes , keep it simple. Then do it or save for it. Just remember, give no more than 10% of job. If they ask for money up front. And put everything in writing, when it comes to business.

Just remember, everything not needed or looks pretty cost in this life. Sorry

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the construction industry, but that doesn't mean I can install Windows or tile for my home. So yea, I need to pay someone at times, to do what I can't. See if you can find a good carpenter, get quotes , keep it simple. Then do it or save for it. Just remember, give no more than 10% of job. If they ask for money up front. And put everything in writing, when it comes to business.

Just remember, everything not needed or looks pretty cost in this life. Sorry
That's good advice. Thanks!

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a picture?
Of the crappy one I need to replace? Sure. Wall mounted using two flat-screen TV mounts, and attached to brackets so I can tip it upwards in the front & brace it with a piece of wood. It's currently supported by blocks in the front because I accidentally knocked the wood out one day and it came crashing down, shaking off or breaking loose some hardware. I just did a terrible job on it from the start and it sucks.

20191129_090201.jpg 20191129_090220.jpg 20191129_090239.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the crappy one I need to replace? Sure. Wall mounted using two flat-screen TV mounts, and attached to brackets so I can tip it upwards in the front & brace it with a piece of wood. It's currently supported by blocks in the front because I accidentally knocked the wood out one day and it came crashing down, shaking off or breaking loose some hardware. I just did a terrible job on it from the start and it sucks.

20191129_090201.jpg 20191129_090220.jpg 20191129_090239.jpg
Great idea, a carpenter can go off those dimensions, cost? Who knows

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make another one. Learn from your mistakes. Learn a useful life skill. Practice makes perfect.

I think you be surprised at what having something made costs.

I know it would cost an arm and a leg, but it would at least be done right. I could give it another try I guess, but it would....not look real good. Might be better, but still not great. *sigh* So do I pay an arm and a leg to get one made, or do I only pay an arm in buying and stressing over trying to build it myself? To me, that's pretty close to a horse apiece!
If I had lighting I would of made same design. Very good idea
It's a great idea! But my execution of said idea left almost everything to be desired!

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the local hardware store/building supply and ask for names of local craftsman.
Well, now there's a good idea. At the very least I could pay for a consultation so they can help me iron out the parts I can't figure out. (for example, a pvc frame would be super lightweight, but to hang it from the ceiling...how do I secure the cables to the dang pvc??)

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a Woodcraft or Rockler store anywhere near you? They will certainly know locals that can make one for you. Personally, however, I'd suggest you do as others have suggested. Use what you've learned from the first one to make the second even better!

I made my first canopy out of 3/4" plywood. It was for a 150 long and weighed in at, well, way too much. It worked, but as soon as I finished it I knew it was too much.

When I built the canopy for my current 120DT, I used solid 3/4" cherry for the basic frame and used 1/4" cherry for the panels. Not only did it turn out much nicer, it can actually be lifted into place by just one person.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 61 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back