BEWARE! More than likely a scam

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their product is junk too.
Will it replace my "big boy" skimmer? Highly unlikely but I'm using it now and it was free to me. Good to have a backup anything in this hobby. It works just fine and just so you know my high end skimmer went through a pump in less than a year. So the term junk could be applied to pretty much anything used in this hobby.

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I literally confirmed with paypal that the email was fake.

They never mentioned your paypal had to be linked to your account......

Either way the email was a fake.. take it how you want it
It was all private message through the R2R forum for me. Regardless, I had no issues. Neither did anyone else it seems. I am going to chalk it up to paranoia and potential misinformation on your end. Good luck with your rant buddy.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible the phishing email you got was just coincidental? I get those types from “usps, Amazon, PayPal, etc” all the time.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a scam. Idk what to tell you. The money is in my bank account. The skimmer is in my sump in my build thread for a multi year active account. This post should genuinely be taken down for being misinformation. They even shipped a replacement free of charge for a piece damaged in transit.
Dont need you to tell me anything.

YOU may not have gotten scammed, but THIS IS a scam..
Is it possible the phishing email you got was just coincidental? I get those types from “usps, Amazon, PayPal, etc” all the time.
Not possible it was the exact amount. and They pmed me on r2r minutes after I recieved the fake email, telling me they just sent the money, to "check my email".

I would post all the screen shots, but its honestly alot of work. & I am not trying to prove anything.... Just warn you guys.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
logging into my paypal was the first thing i did when I recieved this fake looking email.

Thats when I saw there was no recent activity at all. So I contacted paypal while DMing IOAOI through here.

While he's telling me to click the link, paypal is asking me questions about the email, and letting me know the email is a fake.

Is it a verified account? Just verify it on your paypal (not the email they sent) then send the order # and email through the DM here.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not possible it was the exact amount. and They pmed me on r2r minutes after I recieved the fake email, telling me they just sent the money, to "check my email".

I would post all the screen shots, but its honestly alot of work. & I am not trying to prove anything.... Just warn you guys.
It's a Chinese company. The paypal request I got was from a selection of Chinese characters. Paypal is tagging this because 99/100 times when a random Chinese business account is sending requests to some dude in Miami, FL, it's a scam. This is that 1% that isn't a scam.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Right on..again..I think someone might be taking advantage of the situation and actually trying to scam but it's not IOAOI so it could be a good heads up so people know. On our local forum there are scammers who have taken advantage of sale threads and gotten a few people that way.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats funny is that IOAOI PMS me a few minutes ago saying there are other methods to recieve my payment.

By either billing them, or creating a payment link on paypal. Obviously this is alot less sketchy, so I created the link and they sent me my money in minutes.

IDEK whats going on, but like I said... Yall been warned

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats funny is that IOAOI PMS me a few minutes ago saying there are other methods to recieve my payment.

By either billing them, or creating a payment link on paypal. Obviously this is alot less sketchy, so I created the link and they sent me my money in minutes.

IDEK whats going on, but like I said... Yall been warned
For the record...they just asked me, like others what the order number was, my PayPal email and then sent my a payment to paypal..all was in pm and short and sweet.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furthermore I would make sure there aren't any I0A0I names and that it's IOAOI with the letter o and not 0 (zero)..that could be another scheme

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furthermore I would make sure there aren't any I0A0I names and that it's IOAOI with the letter o and not 0 (zero)..that could be another scheme
this isnt my first rodeo bucko

ioiao - 0.png

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Chinese company. The paypal request I got was from a selection of Chinese characters. Paypal is tagging this because 99/100 times when a random Chinese business account is sending requests to some dude in Miami, FL, it's a scam. This is that 1% that isn't a scam.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with this. Instead of asking to see the email, the paypal rep probably just assumed based off of their few questions.

Not saying this is what happened, but I could see it being the case.

IOAOI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
They are the ones taking the risk. I could easily clean it and box it up and send it back to Amazon and get refunded along with the PayPal they already sent. Sorry you're having trouble.
Spot on. Before you say this, we dare not mention it. We are also afraid, you know, like @rawnold worried about. But everything is good so far. ;)

WavyAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rawnold, according to one of the users on that thread, he appears to have worked with them before.
why not PM N1tew0lf1212 and ask if he also had to verify his email through a suspicious link?
Good luck!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back