• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

*BEWARE* PAR Meter Rental from Podyourreef.com

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use podyourreef use BRS’s PAR rental program. It’s been a month since I returned the meter and still have yet to receive my deposit back. I had a five day rental I received on May 5th to be returned on May 9th which was a Sunday. I placed the package into a FedEx Dropbox on Sunday that would be picked up on Monday per notice on the outside of the Dropbox (every weekday afternoon). FedEx didn’t scan the package until Tuesday the 11th. The PAR meter was not in my possession after Sunday, yet Josh still insisted he would charge me ANOTHER 5 day rental! I didn’t even hear from them until I emailed them about my deposit almost THREE weeks after the return. Then he drops the double rental charge on me. I hope you needed that extra rental money more than me, because I certainly will never buy your other products and will share this experience on social media every chance I get. As you can see from the pic he didn’t even respond to my email until 5 days afterwards and pestering him two different times. I doubt I would have ever received my deposit had I not emailed them, and who knows I still may not receive it?
97EAB8FE-CEE4-4A32-8930-77D84DE373D4.jpeg

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately BRS does not rent par meters any longer,so that is no longer an option

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately BRS does not rent par meters any longer,so that is no longer an option
They do, it’s just technically not called a rental. You basically buy the meter and have 60 days to return it for a full refund minus a $70 restocking fee. So you get a meter from BRS for 60 days for less price than podyourreef charges for a 7 day rental. It’s a no brainer. I went with podyourreef because I too thought BRS didn’t do the rental anymore. Here is the listing: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/wet-tested-mq-510-full-spectrum-underwater-led-par-meter-apogee.html

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do, it’s just technically not called a rental. You basically buy the meter and have 60 days to return it for a full refund minus a $70 restocking fee. So you get a meter from BRS for 60 days for less price than podyourreef charges for a 7 day rental. It’s a no brainer. I went with podyourreef because I too thought BRS didn’t do the rental anymore. Here is the listing: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/wet-tested-mq-510-full-spectrum-underwater-led-par-meter-apogee.html

I appreciate this explanation. I had planned on renting a par meter from BRS at some point and was bummed to hear they discontinued the program. Glad to hear there is a workaround.

edit- I just "purchased" one from BRS and as a bonus, got a free set of Mr. Chili Pub glasses. You just made my day!

Last edited:

therremans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I did receive the partial deposit refund today, minus TWO five day rentals (about $140)...one month later.
Hello, thanks for informing me. I was about to rent a meter from this company. So glad I dodged it. Although many rentals likely go fine. I feel this exchange says a lot about the ethics of whoever runs that company. Their price is also high considering the return they are getting. Very wrong to charge you an extra $70. I thought they may come back and charge you for a 2-3 day fee and even that I’d disagree with, but 7 day extra charge? I’d be so mad. I will not purchase anything from them in the future.

I think I will just sell some other things and then justify the purchase of one long term use.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to bump this thread as I was also just ripped off by Pod Your Reef. Rented the par meter for 3 days. When my deposit came back it was 40$ less than what it was suppose to be. After reaching out I was told I kept the meter longer than 3 days even though I returned within 36 hours and have fed ex tracking to prove.

So in total I was charged 90$ for a 3 day meter rental. Huge ripoff and poor customer service.

Steer clear of these guys

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing definitely will not be doing business with them. Sadly this is typical of business these days.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back