Big Announcement Today on a Live Event

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new EB832 is not compatible with the older base unit.

Well that sucks, so whats going to happen with the older versions. I take it eventually stop updating it and make us all change over to the new version and spend another arm and leg.. I already see it coming.

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks, so whats going to happen with the older versions. I take it eventually stop updating it and make us all change over to the new version and spend another arm and leg.. I already see it coming.

That is why everyone is so . Also at the fact that they discounted the apex gold just to clear out inventory.

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand the frustration but businesses do this all the time! They are progressing in technology and this is just how it works. I pretty excited about the new controller and I have all the bells and whistles of the now older one. I'm sure the current Apex will be good for a long time.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why is there not more 0-10V ports? Almost everything is going that way, Really poor. Not much is being controlled through on/off switching anymore as pumps go dc and lighting goes led.

You argued that was the way of the future and was going to be a standard for any other manufacturer to use the Apex but only still have two dual channel ports.

Basically this is not really a new Apex, It just now has a new look with salinity probe and wifi built in and still works with older modules which is good.

Should have had at least more 0-10v ports but then we know why.

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why everyone is so ******. Also at the fact that they discounted the apex gold just to clear out inventory.
Basically this is not really a new Apex, It just now has a new look with salinity probe and wifi built in and still works with older modules which is good.

Says is not compatible with the older modules

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the frustration but businesses do this all the time! They are progressing in technology and this is just how it works. I pretty excited about the new controller and I have all the bells and whistles of the now older one. I'm sure the current Apex will be good for a long time.

Nothing new here. They just combined the EB8 with a 1-link module and added the ability to monitor power consumption of each outlet. Was so new that makes it not compatible with the old brain? Still uses the same old Aquabus cable.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As big as a fan boy as i am when it comes to Apex..... I am not to happy about this... I will wait till more details come out but in my honest opinion this was a bad move for apex existing users. I was just about to update my build thread with another DDR and DOS system but I think i will be holding off now.

You never know it might be a big/good step forward but I wish they spent more time on modules to do more with the apex rather then reinvent something that does what existing hardware does....

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd have to disagree as an engineer and technologist. Sure businesses progress with technology and release new product but most at least make an attempt at backward compatibility or a reasonable upgrade path and don't alienate their entire customer base in one fell stroke. Its not like we are talking about a cell phone now obsolete we are talking about a system of components that people have invested in (especially the ones deceitfully lured in to buying gold just before the product release) . Of course if I were you I would be excited too at the likelihood there's a new one coming your way for free. Send me one and I'll be excited too even if the new one is a seriously ugly hunk of orange and silver plastic. ;)

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely needed to update their controller. Not having wifi connectivity in this day and age is obscene. I have no problem with them updating their controller. As long as there is backward compatibility and continued support for the existing/older controller, then go for it. I don't see how anyone has been alienated.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they can soften the blow if they offer some kind of discount for current apex system owners to upgrade their kit if they descide to jump onto the new system.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw the video, and I like. it is a more compact system. I missed were the brains are at, in the new EB8 or the flip up thing?

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will most likely buy the new one as well but with the vertex coming out and other controllers It gives a lot to consider now... A few days ago I would have never changed but now I don't see how I cant take a look at other options out there.

If I change over I guess ill be having a fire sale or one of my friends will be donated a killer apex system... well was killer now old :p

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must have known this was gonna come out for some time, if they had price dropped the gold system a year ago or say last black friday and in the meantime throw some hints of a new controller out but to price drop it two weeks before the release of a new flagship controller and not give them the option to wait for the new one.....

IxTCxI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should offer some type of trade in. If I were to buy the new controller what am I gonna do with the classic one? Who would want to buy it when they are not backwards compatible.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are backwards comparable, Only thing not is the energy bar.
This is not a new apex really, it is just a different package. It is basically a Apex with built in salinity port and WIFI.
Problem is the future is 0-10v and they didn't not include more of them and that is way more important than a new energy bar.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back