Big Announcement Today on a Live Event

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they should have at least let everyone know the new system was going to come out, but we want to sell out on the existing units until we do then we will slowly release the new systems out at it would have given everyone a heads up. Or offer some type of buy back for new owners that just bought the old Gold systems. At least give everyone a choice

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. They do have the 1-link module for the existing Apex users, so the only thing difference is the ability to see power consumption on each outlet (I don't really use this feature at all but others might care) and the LED indicators for each outlet (if you stare at the EB832, I look at the fusion or the old web pages most of the time). Why not just make a newer EB8 module with single outlet power consumption monitor and LED for notification.... That would have been a lot less shock in the transition......for the people that just bought the gold packages recently ....
2. The wireless, no big deal since there are solutions for that already.
3. The 1 lick firmware update button.....is nice to have but not really a big deal as we don't update firmware daily, weekly or even monthly.
4. The new display.... looks just like the old one with a new case....Really?

Nothing new here. They just combined the EB8 with a 1-link module and added the ability to monitor power consumption of each outlet. Was so new that makes it not compatible with the old brain? Still uses the same old Aquabus cable.

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. They do have the 1-link module for the existing Apex users, so the only thing difference is the ability to see power consumption on each outlet (I don't really use this feature at all but others might care) and the LED indicators for each outlet (if you stare at the EB832, I look at the fusion or the old web pages most of the time). Why not just make a newer EB8 module with single outlet power consumption monitor and LED for notification.... That would have been a lot less shock in the transition......for the people that just bought the gold packages recently ....
2. The wireless, no big deal since there are solutions for that already.
3. The 1 lick firmware update button.....is nice to have but not really a big deal as we don't update firmware daily, weekly or even monthly.
4. The new display.... looks just like the old one with a new case....Really?

I agree. I emailed Neptune this morning asking a few question and here is their answers for anyone who is interested in knowing more.

Neptune answers are in Bold, Red letter.

First, will the new features on Fusion work with the now called “classic apex”. Can the classic apex be updated with one touch from the iOS app?
  • All of the Fusion improvement, like the reminders we announced yesterday will work with the Apex Classic. No, the Apex Classic can not be updated like the new Apex. It will still require manual firmware updates. Part of the HW improvements (or the under the hood aspect of the Apex) is improved components that allow for a one touch firmware updates. The hardware in the old Apex simply can't support it.

Second, what is the reason the new EB832 is not backwards compatible with the old brain? It still uses the same Aquabus connection so what really makes it not backwards compatible?
  • Much of why "one touch AOS" can't work on the Apex Classic is why the EB832 can't work on the Apex Classic. Basically the Apex Classic is unable to process the amount of information that the EB832 is delivering to the system "brain." The new Apex has an upgraded processor and memory system to handle that information.

Third, When will the iOS app be release?
  • The iOS release of the new App will coincide with the release of the Apex in the first half of June.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand a lot of people's frustrations with just purchasing a new apex gold to see this one get released, but the apex you bought will still work and function like it should with no issues.

My thought being a current apex owner is that if/when the times comes I'm sure I will have the option to buy the newest apex brain and put it on my current apex since everything currently will work with the new brain. I'll just have a pm2 module laying around that I can put on my frag system.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know yet. We need to push out a good group of the systems first.

Terence, why trick new customers into buying the apex gold by offering it for $100 less when there was going to be a new system released in a few weeks for the same price as the apex gold? I used the word trick because I believe everybody who bought it was tricked into buying it since it was offered for $100 less. Im sure all those people would had gladly waited and paid the full retail price for a new controller.

Pdandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence, why trick new customers into buying the apex gold by offering it for $100 less when there was going to be a new system released in a few weeks for the same price as the apex gold? I used the word trick because I believe everybody who bought it was tricked into buying it since it was offered for $100 less. Im sure all those people would had gladly waited and paid the full retail price for a new controller.

Agreed^

I just bought the gold last week because I saw it was $100 off. Had I known the new one was coming out in a couple weeks I would have waited and paid the extra $100, but now I am stuck with the "old" one.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused a bit. The old gold Apex $700 (I doubt if they will raise the price back up to $800 again), the new System $800. There is a difference in pricing right? If you say the discount is not big enough, then that is a different story but .......

I mean car makers, cell phone companies, or any companies you name out there, are doing this and I don't see anyone making a big deal about that. They drop the price on the older model to give incentives to anyone who does not care about the latest/greatest stuff ....

Terence, why trick new customers into buying the apex gold by offering it for $100 less when there was going to be a new system released in a few weeks for the same price as the apex gold?

Agreed^

I just bought the gold last week because I saw it was $100 off.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. That's why so many people are upset. That was a bad choice on Neptunes part.
This is getting a bit ridiculous. When would there be a "good" time. At any point they choose to release a new controller someone will have bought the old one the week before and will be upset. As a business they need to make a decision to release and then let people know and that is exactly what they did. The new system isn't really offering any real tangible benefits making it worth the extra $100 it will cost over the current Gold prices so you still got a deal. The Gold system will operate for many years to come (I still run an AC3 that is MANY years out of date) and there is no shortage of hardware to purchase for it.

There was a lot of uproar with Apple when they did this a few years back and people got over it. Sony did the same thing with the playstation. Car dealers do it every single year. I can't think, off the top of my head, of any company that doesn't put previous gen hardware on sale to move inventory in preparation for the new model being released.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to disagree as an engineer and technologist. Sure businesses progress with technology and release new product but most at least make an attempt at backward compatibility or a reasonable upgrade path and don't alienate their entire customer base in one fell stroke.
This simply is not the case and it has nothing to do with being an engineer or technologist. All the modules are compatible and the only thing that isn't, so far, is the new EB832. They are still selling the standard EB8 so how were you alienated? Do you really need the new EB832 to have a successful Apex system? Is it really that important to know how much power each socket is using? If so, then you are alienated but the other 99.9% will continue on just fine. Fusion will still work, you still get access to those software upgrades except the firmware upgrades (you still need to use the old process), you will still have steady supply of hardware from your LFS (support local businesses instead of saving a few dollars and buying on the internet) and there is still support from Neptune and the forums.

It was interesting seeing all the uproar at Sony for not making the PS4 backwards compatible but guess what, nothing has changed. People continued to use their PS3 and those that bought a new PS4 bought PS4 gear. At least Neptune has made everything else (besides EB832) compatible.

What really surprised me is that they pulled their engineers (purely speculation) and designers off better products like COR and FMM to get this weak upgrade out to production and no one thought to update the wireless controller? Really, wireless N was the best they could come up with?

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is getting a bit ridiculous. When would there be a "good" time. At any point they choose to release a new controller someone will have bought the old one the week before and will be upset. As a business they need to make a decision to release and then let people know and that is exactly what they did. The new system isn't really offering any real tangible benefits making it worth the extra $100 it will cost over the current Gold prices so you still got a deal. The Gold system will operate for many years to come (I still run an AC3 that is MANY years out of date) and there is no shortage of hardware to purchase for it.

There was a lot of uproar with Apple when they did this a few years back and people got over it. Sony did the same thing with the playstation. Car dealers do it every single year. I can't think, off the top of my head, of any company that doesn't put previous gen hardware on sale to move inventory in preparation for the new model being released.

The right thing would have been to say: Hey we are going to release a new Apex but in the meantime here is a $100 discount off the current Gold Version or release the new "gold version" and mark down the current gold version $100 like Apple does when a new iPhone is released. Instead, they gave a discount to persuade/trick people into getting the gold version and clear inventory before the new controller is released.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right thing would have been to say: Hey we are going to release a new Apex but in the meantime here is a $100 discount off the current Gold Version or release the new "gold version" and mark down the current gold version $100 like Apple does when a new iPhone is released. Instead, they gave a discount to persuade people into getting the gold version and clear inventory before the new controller is released.
Apple doesn't tell you they are releasing a new version before the discount. You just know it is going to happen because 5 or 6 years ago they started discounting to move stock, THEN they held their press event to talk about the new phone (which is EXACTLY what Neptune has done). Most people forget all the uproar with Apple when they did this in the beginning with the iPhone. It isn't an issue now because it happens annually. No way on earth you could get Neptune to move that fast so this will probably happen again in 5-7 years with the next version of Apex.

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apple doesn't tell you they are releasing a new version before the discount. You just know it is going to happen because 5 or 6 years ago they started discounting to move stock, THEN they held their press event to talk about the new phone (which is EXACTLY what Neptune has done). Most people forget all the uproar with Apple when they did this in the beginning with the iPhone. It isn't an issue now because it happens annually. No way on earth you could get Neptune to move that fast so this will probably happen again in 5-7 years with the next version of Apex.

My point is that new customer were tricked into buying the Apex gold buy lowering the price just to clear out inventory for the new product.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back